Re: The Difference Engine: Four bangs for the buck

General hang out to post about our lives!
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

I just returned from HOT ROD Magazine's 2011 POWER TOUR Kick-Off party in Port Canaveral, Florida and didn't see any shortage of Horsepower. There were hundreds of late-model Challenger SRT8s, Camaros, Mustang Cobras, Corvettes, and traditional Hot Rods all ready to make the five-day, five-city cruise to Michigan.

American Horsepower is alive and well - with 30+ MPG on the highway!
Attachments
HEMI Cross Ram
HEMI Cross Ram
Plymouth Superbird appeared to have original paint, but I've never seen stickers on the hood like that. The Superbird in the background was a raffle car.
Plymouth Superbird appeared to have original paint, but I've never seen stickers on the hood like that. The Superbird in the background was a raffle car.
Camaro Pace Car Edition
Camaro Pace Car Edition
Blown Camaro
Blown Camaro
Chevy Powered TR-7.
Chevy Powered TR-7.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Good article, thanks!

I was working for McMullen-Argus automotive publishing company in the mid-90's and we were all talking about the rise of the "sport Compact" cars and which specific technologies enabled the tremendous gains in performance from the smaller-CID (usually four cylinder) engines, especially the VTEC variable valve timing and advances in fuel computer-controlled injection systems.

Simply amazing. A lot of those advances seemed to creep over from F1, especially Honda's F1 program.

Carburetors, pushrod engines, and (mostly) rear-wheel drive is a thing of the past.
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

I agree. It's amazing how far technology has come from the mid-90's.