1/4 scale funnycar project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Re: 1/4 scale funnycar project

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
got a chance today to work on my 1/4 scale driver,this is for my sprintcar im building but will make another mold for my drag car driver,

cheers mike
Attachments
DSC02738.JPG
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
managed to track down a engine for my drag car today,isnt the twin 50cc i wanted but it should go ok with the husqvana 84.7cc and is around 6.5hp stock,i have a few pics,need to finish trimming the casing down and then fit the engine to the chassis,the guy i got it off said it has good torque so hopefully should go ok,
if anyone has used this size motor before i would be keen to hear how it performed,
Attachments
DSC02751.JPG
DSC02749.JPG
DSC02748.JPG
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

vwguru75 wrote:I kinda like the rear tires that are on it. They look easy enough to replace when they wear out. Easy to tune the height and avoid gear changing too.
I'm not sure how good they'll hook up but I guess on the right track they should do okay. Might try some traction compound. Don't over do it though as the cardboard may get soggy and the car will be all over the place. :wink:

Car is coming along nice.
hi guys,
thanks for the input,yeah might have to stick two layers of cardboard together for that extra traction,lol
trying to decide what wheels and tyres to run on the rear,do you guys think brp drag tyres will handle it or will i have to go to rubber cart tyres and rims???
perhaps someone out there may have a pair of rear tyres and rims they might want to sell so i can get this project completed,
cheers mike
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

Mike I doubt any type of foam tire or even with rubber bands will be able to lay traction down with that beast your putting in that car.
Your best bet is a pair of Hoosier go kart dirt slicks, D10 compound 10x 4.5 x 5, to keep them light use the BMI van K rims, they are 2 piece and very light.
You will need a set of go kart hubs, american bolt pattern (3) bolts, bob smith makes them or I'm sure some of these lovely collectors might part with a set..(lol yea right!) .
Anyway I have these on my dragster and they handle a 90cc motor on nitrous just fine, so you will be good to go if your making a runner!.
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

I have ran it a few weeks ago, just a few passes to break the motor in.
I will most likely take a ride Sunday morning to get some run time at the track as well.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

NYCdragRacer wrote:Mike I doubt any type of foam tire or even with rubber bands will be able to lay traction down with that beast your putting in that car.
Your best bet is a pair of Hoosier go kart dirt slicks, D10 compound 10x 4.5 x 5, to keep them light use the BMI van K rims, they are 2 piece and very light.
You will need a set of go kart hubs, american bolt pattern (3) bolts, bob smith makes them or I'm sure some of these lovely collectors might part with a set..(lol yea right!) .
Anyway I have these on my dragster and they handle a 90cc motor on nitrous just fine, so you will be good to go if your making a runner!.
thanks for the info,
it is going to be a runner,what sort of money are you paying for the the cart rim setup,

cheers mike
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

Post by bentley marshall »

its looking good mike what are you using for the rear end ??
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

bentley marshall wrote:its looking good mike what are you using for the rear end ??
hi bentley,
looking at running a chain set up,will make a diff eventuallly as cant afford one of the nice ones the guys here make at present,just want to get it up and running,this engine will end up in my rail later on,
cheers mike
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

Mike the Hoosiers are $54ea (2) and the Van K rims are $13ea (4)
Then you will need the valve stem kit $3 .
These are the perfect fit kart tire for your funny car.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

NYCdragRacer wrote:Mike the Hoosiers are $54ea (2) and the Van K rims are $13ea (4)
Then you will need the valve stem kit $3 .
These are the perfect fit kart tire for your funny car.
thanks for that,where is the best place to buy these from,ive tried to get a small cart tyres along these lines here in nz but can find a supplier that sells them,
cheers mike
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

part# 11050 31/4.5-5 D10 $77.00AUS

Website is: http://www.hoosier.com.au/

These are quarter midget dirt slicks.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

NYCdragRacer wrote:part# 11050 31/4.5-5 D10 $77.00AUS

Website is: http://www.hoosier.com.au/

These are quarter midget dirt slicks.
thanks for the link,
been on the van k site for the rims,what half rim sizes do you guys use,do you have to products codes as i am unsure of which ones to look at to get the correct offset,do you guys run a 3" off set??
cheers mike,
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

My funny car is pretty much stock, so I used a set of New era rear tires, which are with rubber bands.
My dragster has the exact tire I recommended to you..10x 4.5 x 5 with a 2 1/2 outside and 2 inch inside off set.

NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

too pretty for me and too nice to chop up and mod it for racing...this is your funny car I got off you..
Anyway Mad has the right idea, his funny car looks like its gonna be a beast!
You know me Funk, I'm a racer, no collector, I just cant stand seeing this funny car sit on the shelf doing nothing, someone will appreciate it more for the collect-ability and condition more then I will.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
have my drag tyres from brp coming,im also looking at running a 75cc engine in this car,slightly less hp but might be more kind to the tyres,the go cart rims and tyres i think wont look right on this project,the 85cc engine is destined for my other top fuel dragster project,

mike