Mr Jan Gilmer

This is your place to post stories related to 1/4 scale. These could be experiences, historical stories or inside scoop of the old manufacturers!!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Mr Jan Gilmer

Post by bobjeffreson »

Last Wednesday, the last day of our American holiday, my travelling mate Jeff Griffith and I took off on another long drive. This time it was to Howard Lake Mn, to call in on Jan Gilmer.
Man....what a time we had there. Jan kept us entertained for hours in his shop and over lunch, with stories about his 1/4 scale midgets, his 3/4 midgets and his life. He's a fantastic storyteller and tells some "hot" jokes!
We sat and watched as he worked on his 1/4 midgets.
He proudly showed us the 1940?? Kurtis Kraft TQ midget he has almost completely restored. He told us how he redid the body panels on a English Wheel. About the hours he spent polishing the welds in the metalwork, before it was chromed. He loves this car so much, he doesn't think it will ever see action on a track.
Our time with Jan was way too short, and with a 5.5 hr drive back to Knoxville Iowa, for a flight home the next morning, we said our goodbyes. Another truly wonderful experience.........

Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Re: Mr Jan Gilmer

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Bob, that is awesome - thanks for posting

Cheers
Rick F
2 Gilmers
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

I doubt if that is the case. He suggested nothing like that to me, during my visit. When I was at his shop, he had no cars to show me. They had all been sold.
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Sorry funky,
I thought you meant a black 1/4 scale midget....shish....might be still suffering from jet lag... :?
I recall that he did mention he may sell the black TQ. I didn't hear a price quoted though. What will he do if he sells that car. Jan told me he is already having 2nd thoughts about ever running the yellow car. He said that it is just too good to get dirty.
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Here is Jan's latest midget.....

Jan checking out his latest creation....