New to this site, looking for advice on custom 1/4 truck

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
DieCastoms

New to this site, looking for advice on custom 1/4 truck

Post by DieCastoms »

Hi all. I am a total newbie to this site and fairly new to this type of project. I have been thinking about/planning this build for about 10 years and have just not had enough to do anything with it.

The plans are based around an engine I already have, a 43 cc pocket bike engine with electric start. The plans are also now based around a body I was given. I will take dimensions soon and will edit or post them in a new thread, but the body is as long as my 11 year old nephew is tall and is a generic Ford pickup. The body is all fiberglass.

These are points I have been wondering about:

Should I look for a rear end from a pocket-bike 4-wheeler? Should I try to find a made-for-R/C rear end, or could I get away with the auger-drive gearbox from a rototiller or snowblower (understanding it won't have a diff.) I do not know, yet, whether I plan to build as a tractor-pull style or just a crazy-huge R/C truck and see what happens.. I understand the pros and cons of having/not having a differential for different uses (just driving/truck pulling)

I have a reduction gearbox and I also have a pocketbike CVT transmission (belt style) which also has a reduction box built into it. I do not know the reductions off-hand. I would prefer not to use belt and chain drives but instead drive from the engine through a driveshaft to the rear end. I am thinking of just getting the auger gearbox mentioned above, coupling it directly to the centrifugal clutch, throwing some tires on, and seeing what happens with power and speed. Comments?

I am trying to decide what to do for suspension, if anything. I was thinking leaf springs and dampeners in the back and lower a-frame and strut tower in the front, with coils and dampeners. In the same area, what steering methods are available? There will be a 12-volt battery on board.

Sorry if my thoughts aren't all clear. After tinkering with ideas for 10 years and not doing much with this project, I am really excited to have the body. Now I have something that will help narrow down some of the concerns (tire size, chassis dimensions, engine placement in the chassis, etc.

Looking forward to any and all conversation about this from people who know!
Michael (And dad, Leon, who will be helping.)

P.S.,
Here are a couple pictures of the body propped up on a mover's dolly and an extra wheel that matches the dolly, just to take pictures. They are large pictures.

and one more to make the size more obvious

Michael, at DieCastoms.

'85 Ford F250 fiberglass body, 48 inches long, 19 wide -- 43cc elec start pocket bike engine -- http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/bb/v ... f=6&t=2818