New here and recently aquired car

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
lonbhold75

New here and recently aquired car

Post by lonbhold75 »

Hello,
As you can see I am new here, first post to be exact. I have always wanted a QS car and now have one headed my way. I am more of a tinkerer than anything. I feel I got a decent deal on this, but don't really no much about it. Emailed Mike and he stated it appeared to be a New Era body with custom made chassis. Cool I like custom. Guess my questions are where can I source some new tires? I have done some searching and looks like BRP is my best option, but am not to knowledgeable on how there tires work, and will there wheels fit. I know tons of newbie questions, hopefully and can have new wheels/tires on the way so I can have it up and running right after it arives. Anyway on to the pics.

Any more info anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: New here and recently aquired car

Post by Mike Casey »

BRP is really the only guy to get them from. The hubs you have look like standard 6 bolt pattern. I dont know if he offers those anymore. It may only be 4 bolt. But i think you could re-use the rims on your car. Its just a real pain to get the old tires off.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
lonbhold75

Post by lonbhold75 »

Thanks QSL, guess I will have to e-mail BRP and find out.
Dave
lonbhold75

Post by lonbhold75 »

FuNkY mOnK wrote:Welcome to QSL, nice looking car. where can I get square tubing like that and can these 2 words even belong in the same sentence :?
Thanks for the compliment. Not sure exactly where to get the square tubing as I did not build this. I did a quick search and found a few online companies you could try.

http://continentalsteel.thomasnet.com/v ... &forward=1

http://www.therosecorp.com/retail.lasso

Hope those are of some help.
Dave
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

lonbhold75 wrote:Hello, As you can see I am new here ..... Dave
Dave: Welcome to the QSL Forum, I think you'll find it to be a very good 1/4 scale place to hang out. Everyone on here is very helpful and willing to share ideas and info, so don't hesitate to ask for assistance. There won't be many cars like yours in the UK!

Kevin
lonbhold75

Post by lonbhold75 »

FuNkY mOnK wrote:Thanks :D I found these wheels on ebay, Looks like he has 3 left, don't know if he ships out of the United States.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-BRP-1-4-scale-tir ... 286.c0.m14
kevin wrote:
lonbhold75 wrote:Hello, As you can see I am new here ..... Dave
Thnaks for the link, but went ahead and bought new straight from BRP. Todd has to be one of the most helpful individuals I have met yet. He was willing to answer all of my newb questions.

Dave: Welcome to the QSL Forum, I think you'll find it to be a very good 1/4 scale place to hang out. Everyone on here is very helpful and willing to share ideas and info, so don't hesitate to ask for assistance. There won't be many cars like yours in the UK!

Kevin
Kevin,
Thanks for the welcome, so far I have found it very informative and helpful.
I have yet to see any QS over here yet. Lot of 1/5 and 1/6, which is what got me interested in QS. Started with an FG, then a MCD, then a HPI 5T, and now my first QS.

I am hoping it will go alright on dirt/grass cause the local school field is the largest area around with no obstacles. Will find out soon enough.

I am also already thinking about some sort of rear suspension....any ideas? Or can I not run a rear suspension with the chain drive without some sort of chain tensioner? Was trying to get an idea from pics and have started browsing the archive database, but that is a slow process.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

New era did not use a tensioner. I dont know how well it worked though. I would imagine small chain is the key.
Attachments
new era gn (4).jpg
new era gn (4).jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
lonbhold75

Post by lonbhold75 »

QSL wrote:New era did not use a tensioner. I dont know how well it worked though. I would imagine small chain is the key.
Thanks for the pic. Looks like i could just add some shocks/springs with limited travel and be ok? cause to much travel looks like it would twist the chain to much, most likely causing it to come off one of the sprockets. Looks like this is going to be fun, exactly what I need a good challenge. :D If the sprockets were more centered on the axle and I moved the engine to the right to align everything that might work. Time to through some of these ideas on paper and see where I get.

But then how much does the chain stretch on these? is it like a quad, or motorcyle where you have to keep adjusting the rear wheel?
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

[quote="lonbhold75 ................. I am hoping it will go alright on dirt/grass cause the local school field is the largest area around with no obstacles. Will find out soon enough.[/quote]

Dave: If you're going to run on grass you might like to think about fitting BRP dirt tires, your car will get better traction with these:

http://www.bishopracingproducts.com/category.php?c=DT

Kevin
lonbhold75

Post by lonbhold75 »

kevin wrote:[quote="lonbhold75 ................. I am hoping it will go alright on dirt/grass cause the local school field is the largest area around with no obstacles. Will find out soon enough.

Dave: If you're going to run on grass you might like to think about fitting BRP dirt tires, your car will get better traction with these:

http://www.bishopracingproducts.com/category.php?c=DT

Kevin[/quote]

Funny you should mention that, because I have a set of checkerboards headed my way :D

Dave