Getting a Conley V8 to idle

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
Gazza

Getting a Conley V8 to idle

Post by Gazza »

I have 3 first Gen Conley v8 427 non supercharged engines and am trying to get them started.
Engines will run for about 1 second if I pour fuel directly down the carby however non of them will idle.
Can anyone give me any tips? It seems like the Carby on each engine will not suck the fuel from the tank.
I can post pics if anyone needs them to help sought the problem.
I really appreciate all the help I can get.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Re: Getting a Conley V8 to idle

Post by a187lbird »

I would say fuel pump this is just my guess with the little knowledge that I have of the situation with your engines. Usually the Conley engines have a fuel pump controlled by crankcase pressure (or electric) make sure it is attached properly and or working properly. you can find his pumps on ebay or order them from www.perrypumps.com. And I am pretty sure you can contact Gary directly and he would be happy to help you, he seems like a great guy who loves the hobby. Gary Conley's email: engines@conleyprecision.com

Hope this helps and best of luck...
And if you ever feel like giving one of your engines away (working or not) just let me know :D
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Gazza

Post by Gazza »

Thanks for the info guys.
I am using a perry pump for all engines . I have connected the Pressure nipple from the crankcase but still with no success.
You mentioned electric pump ? What exactly do you mean by electric as i have never seen this ?
Also i have contacted Gary Conley and also asked if i can send him the engine but he said he is way too busy to get it started.
One more question ,does the position of the fuel tank matter ? And also does the fuel tank need to be pressurized?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

tank needs no pressure. It should work with your setup. Perhaps the carbs are gummed up. If the engine has not been run for a long time the nitro gums up everything including the block. Another thing to think about is that you need about 12volts going to those glow plugs. They need to be HOT and you need power going to them even after startup.

good luck
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Ok I may have misspoke I was not implying that conleys have or had electric fuel pumps.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Gazza

Post by Gazza »

Thanks for all the help guys,i nearly habe it idling.
Can anyone who has a Conley 427 running tell me what model carby they are using ? I would like to purchase a new carby as i believe this is the problem.
Also i have 1.5volts ruinning to the glow plugs , other question is what glow plugs are best for these engines ? hot / medium or Cold ? Im running 20% nitro fuel.
This engine is driving me mad.................I just want to get it idling so i can put in one of my cars and make the first proper video of a conley doing burnouts e.t.c as i am yet to see a decent video of these in action.
I appreciate all the help..
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

you have to have 1.5 volts per cylinder and the glow plugs need to stay on the whole time.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
JariV

Post by JariV »

Take a pic of the carb please and post it here. Let's see about that.