Need some carburetor help

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Need some carburetor help

Post by Lovedr »

hello Guys:

I have what I think is a Solo 54cc Engine. please see pics. when I went to try and start it, I was not able to get the engine to go no matter what i did. I checked the spark and made sure that was working. I put a little gas in the carb and I still could not get it to go. I have some experience with the Zenoah Engines, but this is driving me nuts. so I then took the carb off to check things out. and this is why Im posting here. looking at the carb, I see what i think is the gas path blocked off with some rubber material. please see the pics below. how is the carb suppose to get gas to the engine when this is blocked off. please see the pics and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Attachments
car5.JPG
photo7.JPG
photo6.JPG
photo4.JPG
photo12.JPG
carb2.jpg
carb1.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Re: Need some carburetor help

Post by Lovedr »

carb2 pic was also blocked off with gasket material.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I am no expert but I will tell you what I think.

That carb should have a second butterfly on the inside (it will run without it, and makes it easier to tune without it.)
And I believe there is a hole from the crankcase that runs through the carb spacer and then into the carb that helps the carbs diaphragm pump fuel (could I guess run with it blocked off but may have issues under certain RPMs or make it very hard to start because there is no primer bulb)

I say dip the carb in gas for a day replace the gasket or use some rtv with a string running in the center of the rtv put it all together and when starting blast a little brake cleaner in the intake and she should wake right up. (yes carb cleaner is probably not the best to use but damn does it get an engine screaming)
If she still doesn't want to run buy a rebuild kit i think they run like 20 - 40 bucks for a carb that size
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

All that is assuming there is no air leak and it is tuned close to correct
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

a187lbird:

thanks for your help and reply!! I have a few more question? please see the pics I posted. the one thing I cant seem to understand is why didnthte engine start when I put gas into the carb? even if the carb is bad, it should still start? Am I missing something?
Attachments
carb4.jpg
carb3.jpg
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I am assuming its from a bad gasket sucking to much air and not allowing it to start. replacing that gasket or making your own with some high temp silicone and spraying some brake cleaner down in there right before you crank it should get it to fire.
Brake cleaner is not good for rubber seals but is highly flammable and evaporates quickly making it effective at starting pain in the A$$ engines. Also another thing to take a look at is the spark plugs gap to big and you get a week spark to close and not enough fuel gets in between to start ignition.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

oh and yes where you had the arrow is where there once was a second butterfly, I believe that butterfly was the choke butterfly it will run without it and a matter of fact it will probably run better without it (harder to start but better runner). You just have to make sure the silicone the person used before to plug the holes are intact and not sucking air through them.
You can also clear out the holes and then use a silver or brass solder to fill the holes just make sure you smooth down the inner solder so you don't disrupt air flow.
Also if you do not feel like going through all the trial and error and modding stuff you can still find those carbs online, they will run you about 100 bucks.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Ok I just found this for you.

Parts diagram, tuning, and problem solving PDF: http://henigins.com/yahoo_site_admin/as ... 120831.pdf

Replacement parts: http://www.promowerparts.com/pages/OemP ... DAHDA531~1
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I am sorry for posting over and over again LOL...
Ok from what I have read having the hole clogged for the crankcase pressure is a nono that little hole that feeds into the black intake manifold and then to the carb, that has to be free because that is from what I can tell is the only way the fuel diaphragm works.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

a187lbird:

thanks for all your help. I ordered a rebuild kit and will let you know how it works out.

thanks
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

So how is everything going? Did you get it to run?
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

haven't had any time yet. Im hoping this weekend
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Any update? did you get this bad boy running?
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

not yet. havent had the time. but im starting to think the spark plug isnt the right one. I plan on ordering one and seeing if that helps. I hope im right.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Ok guys

I have had it with this engine. I think it's time to completely disassemble it and see if there is an internal problem. The latest update is I think the carb is working as it should. The spark plug is good and working but while starting the engine, I can see gas coming out of the exhaust headers which leads me to believe the engine is getting flooded. I also made a gasket out of gasket material to make sure there is no leaks. I then took the spark plug out and disconnected the gas line to the carb to empty the engine of any gas. I then tried to start it using starter fluid and still no luck. My next step is to get a new manifold and carb. Any input would be great. Thanks