fuzzymuff

Re: Best looking Sprintcar?

Post by fuzzymuff »

Did you notice the Conley T model Ford
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Soon to be the NORM for all my WCM Sprint cars.... Fully functional direct fit with no modifications needed headers.... Mocking up today after a lot of trial and error for these headers.... Went with the easy design.... May make something different in the future . Can't Waite to hear these puppies..... And a new set of MY Foams for the sprint car... Front tires have the outside already vulcanized.... Rears are next. Another set of Good years out the door.... Already sold..

ENJOY!!!!!!

Imagination Feeds Creativity
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Awesome examples!!! I am amazed at all the high quality cars and collections!
Tom The Printer

Post by Tom The Printer »

Looks the same from the last time I took it of the track 20 years ago but getting it ready to rumble now
Attachments
P1010091.JPG
P1010095.JPG
P1010069.JPG
Tom The Printer
Brett Finucane

Post by Brett Finucane »

K wrote:Here's mine. It's a made in Australia MiniMax. The car has quite a history. It was built for owned by Brett Finucane, I believe at the end of 2003 or the beginning of 2004. MiniMax cars were designed by Peter McKenzie and I believe he built about ten per year. The car was his first new design crossbar style. It looks scale and is strongly built; it has arguably the only proper working rear end in the world. The components may not all be good looking but they are made to work and not sit on the shelf; in short it’s a genuine race car.

In it’s time it ran back to back in Australia against the latest and greatest belt drive cars and it held its own. It was designed to run on dirt and it does so very well. It's powered by a Zenoah 70 which works just as well as the later 23's. The frame is 4130 and beautifully tig welded. The car is fitted with a Terry Bennett differential which has straight cut gears (very strong, as compared with Skellenger for example) Earlier versions of the Terry Bennett differentials were reportedly prone to running hot, but the differential in car doesn't because it's been properly aligned and shimmed.

Brett Finucane eventually sold the car to Trevor Keir (Trevor used to manufacture 'Bulldog' wheels). Before handing the car over to Trevor, Brett set it up, ran it and semi stripped it to put in a travel bag so that Trevor cold take it with him as hand luggage on his trip from Australia to the UK. Trevor's flight included a layover in San Francisco, where the car was confiscated for being 'inappropriate hand luggage' (maybe it still smelled of gasoline). The car spent many months stuck in customs before being released for shipment (at great expense) to the UK.

I bought the car from Trevor at the end of 2008 and had it shipped to Dubai where I was living at the time. In mid 2009 I returned to Canada and shipped the car to Toronto.

While the car belonged to Trevor it was finished in a 'South African' theme (Trevor being of South African origin) which I rather liked. Unfortunately Trevor lost one of the side panels so when I acquired the car I made new panels and a new theme for it. At the time someone I worked with commented about my model car hobby along the lines of 'playing with model cars again ....... you'll never grow up'. This is where the Pan Racing theme came from; as a small child the story of Peter Pan had been a favourite of mine, and as we all know Peter would never grow up. By the way, the tires are still dirt stained from its time competing in Australia.

There’s a picture of the car on page 3 of this thread as it was when Brett Finucane owned it, it’s finished in a light blue color, there’s a white number 3 on the wing.

I’m not offering up my car as ‘best looking sprint car’, however having said that its ‘sister car’ number 20 pictured below , which was built as an SSME Quarter Scale Speedway raffle prize, would certainly be in the running. I think the wings for this car were provided by Bob Jeffreson and Bob assisted in putting the car together.

K
The attachment IMG_5419_1132x800_1024x724.JPG is no longer available
Hello K, I am Brett Finucane and i would like to provide you with the correct version of events best to my knowledge "as it has been a few years" haha, the first car I purchased at a some of $5050 AUS was a Terry Bennett "Bullett" chassis car " the light blue colour car with #3 as pictured below and on page 3" along with the quick change diff that you now have in the car as pictured in your post 'peter pan car" of mine along with the running gear including engine, brake set up, front hubs & torsion bars front and rear including torsion bar arms. Other than these parts the car as I originally purchased is different.

The Original Terry Bennett Bullet #3 car in light blue colour with white #3 numbers was a very difficult car to master, it had an all steel chassis with braised welds painted black that was heavy, along with a moulded fibre glass front & top wing centre's with aluminium side boards that made a top heavy car as well. This created a standard off the shelf car that typically pushed into the left turn corners rather than over-steered and got traditionally sideways, while this made it easy to learn on at first, it became quit frustrating once up to speed and wanting to keep up with the front of the pack, and no matter how radical you changed the setup the task to take out the tight setup to a loose one was a challenge indeed and just about impossible, so something had to change, I then found out that Peter McKenzie was creating his own chassis to over come this issue, as he had found the same problem as myself with a Bullet car.

The car you have has a new Mini Max Chassis "Chrome Molly Steel" built by Peter McKenzie then powder coated candy apple blue, this chassis was from memory his first or second "mine or Peter's" chassis put together after the first prototype of the candy apple red chassis that was auction off as the #20N Troy Little Car, that were of cut to size ready to assemble "TIG weld together" into frames at the time.....your posted number of 10 per year is not correct from my recollection, Peter actually put together only about 6 to 10 or so chassis at best, so what you have is very special.

Once I received the blue chassis I stripped my complete Bullett car and rebuilt it to the car you have and now see, the changes are: Bob Jeffreson wings front & top "light weight aluminium, chrome molly front axle "Peter McKenzie" versus original steel axle that was supplied with the original car, EPlas Polypropolyne front radius rods "white", new light weight fibre glass & Kevlar tail tank by Ron Griffin and refurbished quick change differential "the original diff from Terry was very tight and used to show wear on the rear gears and inside gear cover hat, and had no whine for a straight cut gear set, once I got this back from Ron Griffin to fix and service there was no longer a tightness to the diff, no longer wearing of the two rear gears or wear on the cover hat and a distinctive whine of the straight cut gears could be heard as should be.

The car you have while it is not a Bullet car, it is also not a Mini Max aside from the chassis, it is a hybrid of both and a variation of a test car, it still has the Bullet Bonnet and other components as described above, and it also has new components by others from Bob and Ron that improved the weight and handling aside from the chassis handling variation created by Peter, the side panel's were changed from original fibre glass to that of aluminium for weight and aesthetic reasons, along with a drive line change to incorporate two universals from memory as well?

New style shocks at the time were also changed "as on the car you have now" to aid in drive-ability.

And that is that....from my recollection...!!!

If i recall more I will repost, hope you still have the car?, and are still enjoying it.

Cheers Brett.
Attachments
Original car I first purchased built brand new for me by Tery Bennett.
Original car I first purchased built brand new for me by Tery Bennett.
qs1.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 4066 times