Ricks RC Stadium Truck!!

This is your place to post stories related to 1/4 scale. These could be experiences, historical stories or inside scoop of the old manufacturers!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Ricks RC Stadium Truck!!

Post by Mike Casey »

Its been a pretty long time since I contributed a cool story to the site. So I thought what better story then how I met Rick from Ricks RC!!

Well, it was quite simple... One day he contacted me because of the QSL site! He gave me his phone number and we really hit it off. Rick is a great guy and even though he is no longer involved with quarter scale, he is a very big enthusiast. It turned out Rick did not live very far from our home at all. We set up a time to meet in the very near future.

When I got to Ricks place, he opened up the garage. To my surprise he still had quite a bit quarter scale gear from the years. One of the things that blew my mind was the original Raco indy car body mold!!! Thats another story, but I will say it was a highlight of my time in q-scale. :)

His collection consisted of a few really cool and pretty rare bodies, some of his old wheels, a custom one off QRS stadium truck chassis with cantilever shocks, PBS gtp all polished out and of course his legendary stadium truck!!!

I wish these pictures would do the truck justice. Unfortunately they don't. The truck is a real work of art. Very well thought out and very well constructed. Rick loves Qscale and it showed in his truck. He was lucky to get someone from Rancho Suspension help him with the frame design and construction. The body came from QRS and the tires and wheels were his own. He had Sees machine his wheels for him and to this day are second to none.

As the sun started to set, i took these few pictures.

In the future, Rick came to our home multiple times to check out our gear and even when I scored new goodies. One time for my birthday, he came over with his truck just so I could drool over it more. Unfortunately he took it home. But I can tell you this, that truck will never leave his hands. It is the one and only truck he ever produced. When he built it, Skellenger was just closing down and rear ends were a big issue. He actually sent two rears to china in hopes to reproduce them so he could produce the truck, however they were "lost in shipping".

One day Rick hosted a Demo and history of scale cars for a great group of kids through his church. He asked us to join and I brought a few of my prized possessions. Rick brought his truck, QRS frame and some old ricks RC displays. It was a great evening spent with a good friend.
Attachments
DSCF0001-1.jpg
DSCF0002-1.jpg
DSCF0003-1.jpg
DSCF0004-1.jpg
DSCF0005-1.jpg
DSCF0006-1.jpg
DSCF0008-1.jpg
DSCF0007-1.jpg
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Ricks RC Stadium Truck!!

Post by Mike Casey »

gearhed

Post by gearhed »

That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing some pictures.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Thanks Gearhead, glad to share!

Here are a few shots from the small event we did. It was an honor to see Rick in action!
Attachments
P1070036.jpg
P1070029.jpg
P1070066.jpg
P1070038.jpg
P1070053.jpg
P1070046.jpg
P1070039.jpg
P1070028.jpg
P1070048.jpg
iggmon72
1/4 scale guru

Post by iggmon72 »

Truly great work by an awesome man...

Thanks Mike for sharing this...

Igg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Can honestly say Rick is one of the best. He was a great asset to the hobby and played a large part.

Just dug these out of the QSL archives. These are shots of his truck when he brought it over on my birthday. The trucks on either side are QRS trucks I had. I think these pictures clearly highlight how superior his truck was. Its all in the details...

Rick really wanted everyone to bring something for a show and tell, however he was the only one that brought something.
Attachments
DSCF0015.jpg
DSCF0010.jpg
DSCF0014.jpg
DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0005.jpg
ricksrc

Post by ricksrc »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the kind remarks. I appreciate your friendship and courtesy over the years. You are truly one of the Quarter Scale Legends yourself. Thanks for all you do to further and spread the word.

Best, Rick
jayhurrikane
1/4 scale GOD

Post by jayhurrikane »

That truck is amazing ! Tough! It shows in the chassis design!
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

Great post. Thanks for sharing this 1/4 scale history.

K
eightman
Legacy Member

Post by eightman »

nice story, nice cars and nice peoples! thanks for sharing...
detailled big scale RC cars become very rare today!
Stef
1:4 scale racing in France : V H R C
faceb..k quarterscale drivers group
my stuff : RC bodies