Preserve or have some fun?

Post pictures and details of your rides here! Open to comments.
stephan

Preserve or have some fun?

Post by stephan »

I got this 1/4 scale Yankee Suzuki Vitara and then realised it may be rare and need preserving, but I decided its time to have some fun and go off road. Absolutely love the model. It has very much got me into 1/4 scale. When I am not running it off-road I love tinkering and fixing it. The exhaust kept popping off. Now sorted. The old M15 engine has been tweaked and runs pretty well. I love the idea of using regular unleaded (plus oil), rather than nitro. This Yankee concept 92 must about 20 years old but I recon its low mileage. I'm having so much fun with it that I rather have loads of fun that preserve it. I now want to make a scratch built 4WD. I have seen on this site some awesome differentials. I plan to have a 1/4 scale off-road 4WD pick-up truck and think a Strimmer (Weed whacker) 30CC engine would be good. Love to know your views on a good engine size and a good gear box for a scratch built off-road pickup truck. 1/4 scale I'm loving it!

Very short video of it off-road
https://youtu.be/Gc1l_n2b6uU
Attachments
vitara_small.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Preserve or have some fun?

Post by Kaye »

Cool car / video :)
stephan

Post by stephan »

Thanks Kaye. The car is great fun. In time I will shoot and share a better video.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Enjoy the car, if you damage the body you can get a new one (green ABS plastic) for 190 Euro from Yankee.
stephan

Post by stephan »

Enjoying it for sure. I will strengthen the body with some fiber glass. Would like one day to mould my own car body using PETG. Think I will mould the bumpers first and see how I get on.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Don't use fiber glass. Buy some sheet ABS and special adhesive (such as 'SCI GRIP / Smarter Adhesive Solutions, 4707 Fast Curing, Milky, heavy bodied solvent cement; IPS Corporation, Box 379, Gardenia, CA, 90248. www.ipscorp.com ) and strengthen the body shell by cementing in ABS filler pieces that you'll cut from the sheet ABS plastic. I bought this adhesive from a local plastics fabricator in Toronto; talk to one near you! For the bumpers, build a mould and pour the bumpers from cold cure urethane or something similar that's flexible when cured. Just some ideas. PETG isn't idea for rc bodies.
stephan

Post by stephan »

Many thanks for the good advice. I am new to this and want to get deeper into 1/4 scale. I will try out the bumpers first using cold cure urethane.
stephan

Post by stephan »

Added a bit more to my short video

https://youtu.be/bDVIUEJEqlQ
eightman
Legacy Member

Post by eightman »

nice car! cool to view it riding!
1:4 scale racing in France : V H R C
faceb..k quarterscale drivers group
my stuff : RC bodies
stephan

Post by stephan »

Thanks! Much apreciated.
I plan to submit a video, based on this car, in Quarterscalelegends Video archive. The quality of videos in that section is pretty high. So time to swap phone video for some good video camera shots. Action clips and perhaps some part of the restore journey.