New guy needs help with Raco JR

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Carp12

New guy needs help with Raco JR

Post by Carp12 »

I bought this from a guy at work. Never had anything RC before but love anything that has wheels. It's in nice shape don't appear to have been used much. I cleaned the tank and carb installed a new fuel pump bulb. It fires right up and runs well.

One servo was missing but had the radio and receiver the type with crystals. Installed new batteries but didn't work. So I ordered a new steering servo. Hitec mega 1/4 servo got that it wouldn't work with the radio or receiver. Checked crystals for match and orientation that checked out.

So I ordered a new radio, receiver and throttle servo Tower 224-2.4ghz 2 channel spread spectrum radio system and futaba S3306 servo.

Got it all installed sitting on the table everything adjusted and working great throttle, brake and steering stop to stop.

But once I start the motor the throttle servo starts doing it own thing and I cannot control it the radio

Shut off the motor it works perfect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ron
Last edited by Carp12 on February 7th, 2017, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
vwguru75
1/4 scale guru

Re: New guy needs help with Raco JR

Post by vwguru75 »

I would look at this first:
Try moving the receiver and it's antenna away from the engine. It sounds like you are getting radio interference from the ignition on the engine making the servos chatter/glitch.
Craig's List..............eBay for people that can't spell.
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

First thing I would check is the spark plug. Don't use a non resistor type. ONLY a resistor type plug! "R"
Carp12

Post by Carp12 »

Thanks guys I will try those things. I have never talked to the previous owner so I have no history on the car. The guy I bought it from got it at a garage sale.

When I cleaned the plug it looked like it had in the motor for some time. Don't know the number and don't have access to car for another couple weeks.

And I mounted receiver, servos, and batt. Same as the original were. My thoughts are all that worked once why not now.

Could it be the radio not for use with a gas engine, not knowing anything about RC stuff. Did I make the rookie mistake and order a mismatch of parts for this car.

After searching for answers I'm getting excited about getting this car going whatever it take.
I have all the spec on what I have. Please help
Sorry for the giant pictures it's my first try. Thanks Ron
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

You can use any radio system you want. That isn't the problem. Most likely it could be a bad on/off switch or corroded connectors with the Original radio system. You can bench test it better later. If it is a Airtronics old radio the connectors are different. Futab Hitec and Jr are all the same slim connectors. I would check the spark plug and make sure it is a resistor type. You can check that out easy. A non resistor type plug will cause the issue's you are having.

Looks like a RCJ6Y plug https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=8613
or a NGK BM7A which is NOT a resistor type.
Carp12

Post by Carp12 »

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply as soon as I get home I will try the fixes. I new I should have brought it with me in the MH. Ron
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

Once you get it sorted out and working good set the fail safe if your radio has that feature so the throttle puts the brakes on when you loose signal and install a kill switch to stop motor if you loose signal. http://www.killerrc.com/product/super-b ... h-car-kit/
Carp12

Post by Carp12 »

Long overdue update had the Raco in storage.
Been doing a total remodel on 1955 built home. Just got the final inspection and all moved in.
Changed to a resistor plug and all glitches gone. Thanks to all for the advice it worked.

As I said on my first time RC guy. I con not believe how powerful and fast this car is it's down right scary. Crazy fast.
My radio has a fail safe but no instructions on how to set it up.
Any help much appreciated
And a kill switch is next any recommendations
I can see the danger in not having these two items

Thanks Ron