If you are a new member, introduce yourself here.
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

A Newbie to the forum but a QScale racer from 89'.. I raced a Joe Alves belt driven sprinter at a local dirt oval in Lakeland, FL. We had 12 sprinters and 10 Grand Nationals and 5 trucks running every sat night. After 2 years I sold my Alves because of a busy schedual. 2yrs. later I came back w/a used Edelbrock w/a Skellenger quick change. I am a sign painter by trade and hand lettered full sized race cars between Lakeland/Tampa,fl. for 15 yrs. I also crewed for Hardy Maddox on a 360 c.i. sprinter for 4yrs. at Eastbay Raceway in Tampa. One of my favorite Outlaw drivers was Doug Wolfgang and I painted my Edelbrock just like his sprinter from 89', made my own wings and tires, radias rods, torsion bars, torsion arms, alum. seat, and driver. From the start Q-Scale has been in my blood. I have been out of RC racing for 7yrs. now. I kept my car all this time and added a couple more sprinters, a Tom Hughes car/WCM. After visiting QSL I had to be a part of it with all the history, the great looking cars and the men who build and drive them.
Thanks, Quarter Scale Legends for this site. Spirntdog
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Newbie

Post by Kaye »

Sprintdog:

Wow, what a quarter scale racing history you have! It would be great to see any pictures you may have from 'back in the day', and also to hear any stories you may like to share, and tips and tricks to keep the cars running.

Thanks,
Kaye
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

Kaye, I have pictures of all the Sprinters and a couple of Grand Nationals that raced in the beginning of 88', but I will have to take pics of pics and transfer to computer so give me a couple of days to figure it out.....later
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Sprintdog:

This is wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and any stories you can share on here.

Kaye
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

Kaye, I ran out of space. go to topics
As I read more and more of QSL I see that u were building an electric salts flats car wondering how its coming along? I am looking to build an electric QS sprinter for a dirt track that is in the beginning stages. The track is next to a RC air field and its between a school and a residential area so no gas cars allowed. I've been living in Naples, Fl. for the last 7yrs. and just found out about it 3mo. ago so I'm getting the feever again. sprintdog
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

The man building the track is making an off road for 10th/8th scale electrics and a oval so he asked me about a size for the oval so I gave him my input and will see if he has room to run QS, if not I will try a 10th scale elect. Mud Buss.
I don't know any tracks in FL. running QS it died out in 2005. Every racer I knew sold their cars except one and he still has his Grand National.
I looking at track completion in a few months........ later, sprintdog
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Sprintdog:

The Salt flat car project isn't complete. I bought a complete electric drive bracket and gear system from Yankee, but before I bought an electric motor for it I changed my mind and decided to go with gas instead. Then I had another change of mind and decided to use a different chassis, a Quickdraw grand national one. So this is where I'm at with the project at the moment. I think the electric would be a great Idea, but I'm not particularly great with the new electric motor stuff. I did correspond with a fellow on here that had built an electric 1/4 scale dragster, he said it was extremely fast. He used a clutch between the electric motor and rear end to handle and smooth out the power.
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

Attachments
My Edelbrock QS w/guick change.
My Edelbrock QS w/guick change.
2012-12-30 11.05.53.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Sprintdog:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Your amazing model looks like a full size sprint, especially in the second photo. I love it!

Kaye
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

This is my Alves car and Frank Webb's pacesetter. Year: 1990
I will post more pictures later.

-sprintdog
Attachments
20210413_161933.jpg
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »