'55 Chevrolet Bel Air on plate chassis

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

'55 Chevrolet Bel Air on plate chassis

Post by Kaye »

Here's my '55 Chevrolet Bel Air. The chassis has been lengthened by a smidge over an inch, so that it fits the wheelbase of the Chevrolet body. The Zenoah engine was built by Trevor Simpson of DDM back in the day, it has ceramic bearings and some other modifications, the engine has never been run. There's still lots of work to do on the project. Currently I'm making a roll cage out of plate to match the rest of the chassis. The car won't be a lightweight, I'll see how it turns out, perhaps it'll need a more powerful engine.

Kaye
Attachments
IMG_5701.JPG
IMG_5703 4.JPG
IMG_6331.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG
IMG_6346.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Re: '55 Chevrolet Bel Air on plate chassis

Post by steve g »

Did you build that frame?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: It's an old frame, similar frames are now made by Predator and some others I think. As well as lengthening the wheelbase, I also moved the position of engine by about an inch or so. The frame is a work in progress.
sprintdog

Post by sprintdog »

Kaye,
'55 is one of my favor cars. Cool, looking forward to the build. Harold
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Harold:

I'm slowly drilling around the cut outs. My drill press and shop vac make a bit of a noise, I'm drilling a little at a time so that I hopefully don't annoy my neighbours up here on the 28th floor! Last Sunday I managed to drill 13 more holes. It's the set up that takes the time. As I'm drilling I have the shop vac switched on and pointed at the drill to vacuum up the mess as I go. I bought a reciprocating saw which I thought would make short work of cutting, it does, but it's too noisy and messy, so I've abandoned this idea. I suppose I'll have to use a key hole saw and file. Sawing and filing aggravate a shoulder and hip issue I have, so it's all going to take a while. Never mind, I'm determined to finish the project!

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

The upper frame is going to look nice when cleaned up. But I would have used a jig saw, I use the blade runner, my wife gave it as a gift more than 15 years ago, it spits out tiny chunks of hot little bits but does the job.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio:

A good idea!
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 5th, 2021, 5:19 am Emilio:

A good idea!
We are missing the most important question here.. what color are you going to paint it?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g:

I like the color and look of this one, but it would need me to be brave enough to attempt some serious fibre glass work on the body shell.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 4.58.01 PM.png
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 7th, 2021, 1:02 pm steve g:

I like the color and look of this one, but it would need me to be brave enough to attempt some serious fibre glass work on the body shell.
it looks like you would be removing more fiberglass than adding... go for it!

I love doing glass work.. im just itching to start mine
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Well, before he glass work, I need to finish the roll cage plates. I managed to do another hours worth of drilling last Sunday afternoon, the noisy part is the shop vac :(
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:56 am Well, before he glass work, I need to finish the roll cage plates. I managed to do another hours worth of drilling last Sunday afternoon, the noisy part is the shop vac :(
Is it done yet? Haha
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: I drilled a few more holes last weekend, still a long way to go. I plan to do a little bit more tomorrow (Sunday). I've been busy with my other hobby, a Saab convertible :)
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 26th, 2021, 8:23 am steve g: I drilled a few more holes last weekend, still a long way to go. I plan to do a little bit more tomorrow (Sunday). I've been busy with my other hobby, a Saab convertible :)
A real Saab? Oh dear you must love challenges. :D
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve gL LOL, yes a real Saab in fabulous condition, needs nothing other than regular wash, wax, etc. :)