Anyone run a zenoah “pum” engine in a 1/4 scale?

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Anyone run a zenoah “pum” engine in a 1/4 scale?

Post by steve g »

I have the opportunity to get a 30cc zenoah airplane engine that’s converted to water cooling with a pull start, it’s not designed for a car but is heavily modified and supposedly can belt out tremendous RPMs and has great power. The block will accept a traditional g2d bell housing and clutch assembly. I’m building a car where width is an issue and this engine has no flywheel/cooling system like traditional 1/4 scale engines.
Anyone done this? Good idea or horrible idea? Any advice appreciated
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Anyone run a zenoah “pum” engine in a 1/4 scale?

Post by Kaye »

steve g:

These engines are commonly used in model boats. I don't have one in any of my boats, my boats are Mathe powered. I've often thought about running a 'pum' in a model car but never tried it. Obviously a small radiator (with electric fan) would be needed to cool the engine. Coolant circulation can be achieved by using a crankcase pressure tap, or a pressure tap into the carburetor isolating block (both methods commonly used on rc gas boats). If I was doing it, I'd use a small electric pump for coolant circulation.

Kaye
anytimerc

Re: Anyone run a zenoah “pum” engine in a 1/4 scale?

Post by anytimerc »

Not recommended and you can wreck the cylinder head if you can't keep it cool. It will overheat and shut down.