Quarter scale drag racing still alive.

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
PRD Racing

Post by PRD Racing »

Mike, No one mentioned bending the rules. The rules don't allow me to plan on racing with you guys at all.
Most will have to drive a good distance to get there and there are entry fees, gas, food, lodging, etc..... All of that taken into consideration and then considering the confusing rules, makes me not get involved.
You never answered my questions about the rules and all I am trying to do is understand what to expect if I want to race. You don't break down things for the outsider to understand. I realize you guys know exactly what the rules mean and how they work, but those of us considering racing there do not.
You say over 30cc must add weight or change to a gear specified by you guys. Ok, do you have equipment to check motor cc's so I know it's all fair?
How do you know the gearing on all cars involved? If someone runs an enclosed rear end or an enclosed gearbox, how do we know the gearing?
How do I know I will have the right gears to take with me so I can change to what you want when I get there?
Where does the weight come from and what is it? Do I need to bring my own lead weights and make a place on my cars to accept them?
You can see why it's hard to see how to race over there and spend the time and money to attempt it.
You mentioned the Top Sportsman class, if that is something you have, then that answers it all for me. I am not interested in all the "heads up" "weight changing", "gear changing" style of racing. Sorry, but it's too confusing to me and is modifying my car that took many hours and dollars to build, tune and get setup properly.
Another scenario is this. Let's say I bring a car that is under 30cc and that clears me of the "weight adding", "gear changing" mess, but if other cars are running with larger motors, all of what I asked is important to me so I know what and how they are checked since I will be racing against them.
I will add this, I have never cheated anyone in all my 25 years of RC Racing! It isn't necessary if proper research and preparation is done. With that said, I don't want to be cheated either and a solid set of rules coupled with proper tech procedures keep that from happening. The rules are the foundation of the club or organization in which the future of it's success relies on. All of this is why I mentioned Bracket Racing since it eliminates the need for alot of rules, speeds up the tech procedures and eliminates cheating.
Good luck to you guys and thanks for taking the time to come in here and help me understand everything. Have fun!
Rob
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Let me try to answer some of your questions. My car was the first car to have to make a gear change because of the size motor I have (54 cc's). The other pro-stock car that ran last year has a stock Zenoah at 22 cc's and ran E.T's around 3.8 at about 39 mph. I have a New Era quick change rear in both my funny car and my pro-stock that you can not get gears for. So I did the nexted best thing, I put taller tires on the car. I went from a 7" tire to a 9" tire which changes the gear ratio. With the 7" tires my pro-stock has run a best of 3.42 sec. at 43 mph. Wth the 9" tires it now runs 3.9 sec. at around 40 mph. I won the track title only because the last event of the year was rained out. I can tell you the first race is going to be interesting because of the new cars that are being built to race at Indy and Celina. As for what kind of tech I will have, we will check for safety issues listed in the General Rules and all cars will be weighed. Your question about weight, we want to see after the first race what most cars weigh and how fast they ran at that weight. Any rule change will be done before the next race. If anyone is building a car and has questions about racing it, post your car info on the board or e-mail it to me. I will be building two cars for this year:
Chevy Monte Carlo body
Tube frame
should weigh about 34 to 36 lbs.
Zenoah with a big bore kit (27 cc's)
with an X-Can muffler
the second car will have a Zenoah with higher compression.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Rob, Just to be clear. Nothing you posted affended me, I know like most of us you are just trying to get drag racing going again. And my cheating remarks was not directed at you. As I said this is going to be any interesting year in Indy and Celina, wheither it works or not I don't know. But I can tell you we are going to give it one hell of a try.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
PRD Racing

Post by PRD Racing »

Thanks Mike for understanding the intentions of my posts. I want to be friends and more than anything, want this area of the hobby to grow. I guess I will get back with you after my cars are all ready to go and we can go from there. Probably having several cars will help me since some will require no changes per your rules. I always build more than one for my racing since I do have to travel and it gives me more track time, more fun and more chances for my money spent to get there.
Keep us posted on everything and I look forward to hearing more about what's going on over there.
Rob
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Post by Big Trev »

I for one love hearing about anything to do with Quarter Scale, no matter what type of racing, and I really love to hear about people actually making plans for future. Please keep sharing and especially keep showing by means of pictures and links. I live a million miles away, but I have plans to run my cars here, even if only for my personal enjoyment and to share the experience with you guys. The more info available the better I can channel my thoughts along the guide lines you set. That way if I am ever fortunate enough to come run with you guys, then at least I will know my wheels point in the same direction.
Who ate all the pies?
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

I just want to give a thanks to Guy Hileary and family for putting on a grate season at Celina R/C Dragway. For more info log onto www.geocities.com/celinarcdragracing.
[/img]
M.R. Ogle

Is that an empty Wisk bottle?

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Oh, for gosh sakes, Hank... put a BODY on that thing!!! LOL!!!
markmrx

Re: Quarter scale drag racing still alive.

Post by markmrx »

mtmoore1, trying to get in touch with you. Check you email, also sent a PM.

Thanks,
Mark