Slithering visitor

General hang out to post about our lives!
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Slithering visitor

Post by Dirty_Vinylpusher »

:mrgreen:

acc
1/4 scale guru

Re: Slithering visitor

Post by acc »

i never check this section of the forum but thought it might be a snake by the topic :P

cute little thing. He was doin his dance every now and then, is he a tree snake or something ? Some of them shake to look like part of the tree etc but he didnt look very green?

I thought you should of gave him a pat/ pull his tail when he went in the saw hole lol

I think he spotted you near the end, started moving faster..

I use to have a pet python, over 1m long and similar width as my wrist (big) he was fun to play with and watch slither around the house and get into all the hiding places. as well as freak out friends that think he will eat you whole or choke you to death ( use to put on shoulders and carry around, he was heavy)

That was when I was way back early days in school.. Would love to get another, like the small kids pythons something a little smaller :)
Hrem, Yes.. I see.
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Yeah green treesnake.
The colours don't show up in the video but he was green on the back and greenish yellow on the belly.

He was well aware of me the whole time as he fell from the roof beam and landed right in front of me on the bench.
Luckily I had the camera right there and only missed about 15 seconds of him being there.

In the end I lost him behind all the junk on the side bench, and when I spotted him again he was already on the ground slithering off next door.

Way cool though how he crawled up in to the saw and out again.

I hate snakes and they always make me jump, but this little guy was pretty harmless......
MRS QSL
1/4 scale guru

Post by MRS QSL »

How cute was he?!

Are snakes common where you live? How often do you find them in or around your home? I can't imagine being so calm if a snake fell from above (even a cute dancing one like that) and started slithering around. My first thought would not have been to grab the video camera, but I'm glad you did. Eep!
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Yeah they're around but you don't see them that often.

Put it this way - I've lived in Australia for 9 years now.
We spent 2 years travelling through the outback, working on farms and orchards, and I work outdoors every day in people's backyards, and I've probably seen about a dozen snakes all up in that time.

I've only ever seen this kind of treesnake close to the house though.
There is a much larger one I've seen in the backyard a couple of times, but they're harmless.
They don't even pay you any attention really, just go about their business.
acc
1/4 scale guru

Post by acc »

Here they are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrelaphis_punctulata
If he was one, it wont hurt :P

You can pick them up (if confident of type) and most the time they wont bite if you haven't harassed it :) no fast movements! lol

Snakes/ spiders etc pretty are common for me.

I haven't seen many greenies for a while... Living where the yard backs onto a decent amount of bush all my life we get them now and then.

Ive seen red bellies (bad! dont touch lol) green tree snakes (have caught and kept some for a short period before letting go again) and some other random types.

Ive not seen many lately.. Numbers might be low in the area now or something, could be to do with the new housing estate starting to build into the bush only a few klms away reducing the land area or something..

Anywho, i thought it was funny when he was doing the Houdini magic tricks in and out of the saw lol.

I was thinking if he hangs around that saw and doesn't leave next time you put ya hand on there to use it he might come out n nip you for invading his space lol.

Its always the snake you CANT see you should be worried about :)
Hrem, Yes.. I see.
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

Do Ausie Snakes actually have a reverse gear?

See 1:57 of the movie - he goes backwards in the chop saw.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a snake go in reverse before. This guy should NEVER take up drag racing (at least not without an auto transmission with a reverse-manual-valve body).
acc
1/4 scale guru

Post by acc »

c103110 wrote:Do Ausie Snakes actually have a reverse gear?

See 1:57 of the movie - he goes backwards in the chop saw.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a snake go in reverse before. This guy should NEVER take up drag racing (at least not without an auto transmission with a reverse-manual-valve body).
Well there chassis is not solid, so they can almost go any direction :)

But the head usually always leads.
Hrem, Yes.. I see.