Raco Skellenger

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Jeff Smithhart

Raco Skellenger

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Ok guys I really am gonna need some help here!
I have an almost complete Raco Skellenger with enough parts to build another chassis basically. There are a few things missing however. One thing that I am going to have to fabricate is the rear brake assembly. I dont really know what it looked like but have some ideas.
I have never done anything with the 1/4 scale but have been racing rc cars for years so I am not a total noob.
What I am hoping for are some kind of pics or suggestions that any of you might be able to help me with.
I will upload pics of what I have soon. I am kind of interested in getting this car completed this summer.
My first project is making the header pipe for the tuned pipe I have for the car
For any of you interested this was Steve Skellengers car at one point so I may have some prototype gear on it.
Like I said I am really new at this kind of thing and any help would be greatly appreciated
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

what do you mean by a raco skellenger? Is it a supermod 2 with the skellenger conversion in the rear? How did you come about the car. Would love to get some pics emailed.
:lol:
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Well that is what they always called it. I am friends with one of the guys that worked at Seco. I also consider Steve Skellenger a friend and used to fly slope with him. I have lost contact with him but none the less I have the car. I purchased it from my friend that use to work there.
I can give you what I think/ know about the car and will try to get some pics tonight.
I believe the car is a Raco GTP. It currently has a GTP body on it and from looking at the pics on this website it must be it. From what I remember (could be wrong) The front end was a design that Steve Skellenger did and is an a-arm setup. The rear end is a Skellenger with some kind of disc brake thing going on (going off memory here). The rear suspension is a 4 link I think and is complete.
I havent looked at this car in detail for awhile but will do so tonight if I am unable to get the pics taken.
I have had this thing sitting for way to long to not have worked on it. But now is the time with money permitting of course. I am gonna need tires for this thing also as the ones on there are dry rotted.
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

FYI I am in Huntington Beach so we are not very far from each other
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Hmm interesting! I have something simular, but I dont think its the same. I cant wait to see it.
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Well I got the pics taken and have just moved so of course I cant find the cord for the damn camera!!!!
I will hopefully be able to come up with it sometime Sunday
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Hey, where are those pics? I will email you pics of the one I have too. I need to get home first though! I work over in Anaheim, so I have a nasty commute!
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

I have just moved and can not find this cord to save my life. I am giving it a couple more days to find this and I am gonna buy a new cord for this camera.
I would have had one already but this is of course a one of a kind cord and is a sob to replace.
Give you a little update on the car. I have purchased the fuel tank and line so I will fab a bracket soon to mount that. I should be able to fire this up in a couple weeks (I hope) minus the radio gear. The only thing holding me up is my header pipe. I am trying to find a piece of pipe to make it out of.
please send me some pics of yours so I can see what a completed car looks like. I would love to see some detail on the brake and throttle servo mounting. Not totally sure how to wire these cars with the 6 cell packs either.
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Ok I broke down and ordered a new USB cable for my camera. It is going to arrive on the 23rd so pictures will follow shortly!
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Ok I sent you the pics...... waiting to see what you have to say
:shock:
Jeff Smithhart

Post by Jeff Smithhart »

Well to give you an update on this thing.
I have a fuel tank and the parts to make my pipe. The motor is mounted and still have to deal with the radio but it is coming along (a lot slower than I would have hoped). I have to cut the old flange off the pipe I have and bend a new header to fit my tuned pipe. I am hoping by the end of next month I wll have it fired up. I wont have the servos in yet but I wanna see the engine run before I get to far into it. I still have some things left to work out on the suspension.
What can I do about my tires that need replacing? The foam on the tires is somewhat dry rotted. Is there someplace I can buy a full set of tires and rims and how much $$$$$ is that gonna put me back. I wanna start driving this damn thing soon so it will get the juices flowing for me to build my 1/4 desert truck!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

BRP still makes tires. There is a link on my links page. It will run over 200 bucks for a new set of tires with plastic rims. You can also post pics now too. There is a spot just under the place when post. :D
vectrex
Legacy Member

Post by vectrex »

i have a huge lot of foam, rubber tires and raco, yankee rims for sale
condition is perfect
big maestro
Legacy Member

Post by big maestro »

Do you have neumatic tires by any chance? Also for foam tires what sizes do you have available and how much for the tires and shipping to South Carolina, United States of course.
Thanks
Jeff, when are you going to show us some pics of the car?
vectrex
Legacy Member

Post by vectrex »

yes tube tires are available aswell .. anyone in need of tires plz contact me ;)