New 1/4 scale Turbine powered Jet Dragster.

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
smithy

New 1/4 scale Turbine powered Jet Dragster.

Post by smithy »

Hey All,

Just thought I'd let you know of my latest project, (I already have a 1/5 scale turbine powered machine), a new 1/4 scale after-burning turbine powered jet dragster, I have a new glass body, the same as Paul Songas' 1/4 T/F dragster body, from Mike at Legendary Reproductions....I have nothing but praise for Mike, he helped me no end to get the body to me here in Sydney, Australia, nothing was too much trouble for him.

A few specs for you. 1:1 jet dragsters normally run a 300" wheelbase chassis, somewhat similar to a T/F dragster I suspect, so a 75" wheelbase machine has been started. Weight of the car should be in the 12kg (~26lb) range. The old 1/5 car was just shy of 7kg (15.4lb) fully fueled and ready to run. The engine of the old car was a 20lb (9kg) static thrust with ~30-35% augmentation giving a total thrust of ~27lbs (12.2kg).

The new engine will "hopefully" be an ATJ-240Ti turbine, this engine has a static thrust of just over 53lbs, add the ~35% afterburner increase and we should have somewhere near 70lbs (~32kg) of thrust @ full noise. There will be twin 30" cross-form parachutes and twin rear wheel disk brakes to help with slowing down duties.

To be honest, this car will never be able to compete with the gas and nitro powered machines of similar scale over a scale 1/4 mile but that's not what I'm really after, I just like the challenge of the build and seeing it finally run on it's own.

I hope to keep you all up to date of progress as it happens.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Attachments
DSCF4041.jpg
DSCF4038.jpg
Last edited by smithy on May 25th, 2010, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
smithy

Re: New 1/4 scale Turbine powered Jet Dragster.

Post by smithy »

Hey All,

Some progress pic for you, the car is ~90% complete and will be fired up for the first time this coming weekend.

Enjoy,
Cheers, Smithy.
Attachments
DSCF4168.JPG
DSCF4162.JPG
DSCF4165.JPG
DSCF4172.JPG
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Pleeeease post video!
smithy

Post by smithy »

M.R. Ogle wrote:Pleeeease post video!
Hey Mike,
I will certainly post a video for you, need to get her running nicely first, then we can burn some serious amounts fuel.

Cheers,
Smithy.
smithy

Post by smithy »

Hey Mike,

Here's that video I promised, it's only an engine test run but will give you a bit of an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-UC5afVIM

Enjoy,
Cheers,
Smithy.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

That is AWESOME!!!

Sounds great, looks great... it's gonna take some nerves of steel to stay in the throttle very long, but it sure will be fun!

Excellent job so far. I love it!
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

THAT IS WILD!!!! nice job....
smithy

Post by smithy »

M.R. Ogle wrote:That is AWESOME!!!

Sounds great, looks great... it's gonna take some nerves of steel to stay in the throttle very long, but it sure will be fun!

Excellent job so far. I love it!
Hey Mike,
Yeah, she's a bit scary when "on the noise", the silly thing is not quick off the line but is stupid fast at the top end, has been clocked at 203.56kmh so far, I just don't have the rocks to keep into it..!

Cheers,
Smithy.
smithy

Post by smithy »

Hey Guys,

Took the little jet dragster out for a quick launch test @ ~80% rpm yesterday, also tested a single chute deployment...seemed to work pretty well...Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5-evHF1uA

Cheers,
Smithy.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Wooo-Hooo! First run is a success, congratulations!!!

Let 'er RIIIPPPP!!!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

thats pretty impressive. Looks like it could be really fast.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
smithy

Post by smithy »

QSL wrote:thats pretty impressive. Looks like it could be really fast.
Yeah, although i must admit it's not "quick", it definitely is fast. I believe there is a difference between the two. Quick machines will get off the line nicely, fast machines have a good top end....Now, to have both would be a real bonus..!

Cheers,
Smithy.