Homebuild Trophy Truck

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Turbogolf
1/4 scale guru

Homebuild Trophy Truck

Post by Turbogolf »

Here's my trophy truck project I have been working on for the past few month. I can only spend a few minutes here and there after work on this so the progress has been slow. That plus it's my first time welding (every joint is a "test" weld since I don't have any scrap metal laying around) has made this project even slower. I originally wanted to post it up after I had finished with everything, but since that won't be for a while, I figured mind as well get something up for now.

The frame is ~80% done. Not sure about the rearend, might go for a Toro gearbox. Engine is a 49cc scooter engine and I'm in the process of modifying a Toro 3 speed transmission to fit to it so it can be manually shifted. Rear shocks are Baja's with 6mm shaft. Front shocks are going to be FG MT shocks I have laying around. Since the engine has a build-in starter, I will hook up two 7.2V NiMh batteries, regulated, and implement remote starting. :D

My tools for this project: hacksaw, hacksaw jr, flux core wire welder, press drill and various files. Not by choice, but it's what I have. Will try to post more pictures as progress is made. :)

Please let me know what you guys think of my "truck". Thanks!
Attachments
ST3.jpg
ST2.jpg
ST1.jpg
works

Re: Homebuild Trophy Truck

Post by works »

That's a hell of a good start!
Muddy
Legacy Member

Post by Muddy »

Great work, Hand Made too!! Good job mate, keep on going.
When it roars into life, you'll get a huge kick 8)
Go hard...or GO HOME!!!
Turbogolf
1/4 scale guru

Post by Turbogolf »

Thanks guys! Will try to fit the engine/tranny this week and have some updated picture by the coming weekend!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

love what you have done. Quite impressive. :shock:
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
acc
1/4 scale guru

Post by acc »

bumppppp!
Update on rear end setup?
Hrem, Yes.. I see.
Turbogolf
1/4 scale guru

Post by Turbogolf »

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I updated this project. I have not had a chance to work on it since the end of July, and with my current responsibilities, I don't think I will be able to touch it until end of the year. So I figured I post a couple of recent pictures before I forget to do that too. Most of the components are built and fastened. I have a few sets of led lights for the front and rear that still needs to be put into place. The engine is a 49cc scooter engine with electric start and 5:1 gear reduction gear box and the rear-end is a toro rwd gearbox. The disk brake is off a mountain bike and is still in need of installation. I was working on the drive axle and will use two deep socket universal joints... I think. The rear shocks are from the Baja and the front ones are from a FGMT. As you might be able to see, the bare metal frame is starting to surface rust, hopefully I'll be able to get a coat of primer on it before the end of the year. Let me know what you guys think and hopefully I'll have a chance to update with better picture (without all the mess in the background) in the future.

Turbo
Attachments
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
acc
1/4 scale guru

Post by acc »

Interested to see how the axle mounts up to drive line/ wheels/ swing arm etc
Hrem, Yes.. I see.
bill

Post by bill »

I LIKE WHAT IM SEEING DONT FEEL BAD ON TIME I GOT ONE JUST GETTING BACK TO I STARTED ON 11YRS AGO GOT A QUESTION WERE DID THE WHEELS AND TIRES COME FROM LOOKIN FOR A REASONABLE SET FOR MINE GOOD LUCK ON IT LOOKS LIKE ITS COMIN ALONG GOOD. 8)
Turbogolf
1/4 scale guru

Post by Turbogolf »

Hi Bill,

The wheel and tires were purchased off ebay awhile ago. They are made for go carts. The wheel originally came in white, I spray painted it gray metallic. I'll upload the link if I can find it again on ebay.

Turbo