Aussie in the 'States.......

General hang out to post about our lives!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Aussie in the 'States.......

Post by bobjeffreson »

Just arrived back yesterday from 2 weeks in America. First trip back in 14 years. Main purpose of the visit was to attend the 50th Knoxville Nationals for sprintcars.......
In total, I managed to squeeze in 10 consecutive days of racing...whew!!!...heaven!!!!

Also drove to Belleville Kansas to see the midget Nationals.....they went way too fast on this 1/2 mile, 23 degree banking gumbo track...man they were quick..

While in Knoxville I was given the chance to race in the 1/4 Scale Nationals, thanks to generosity of local racer Larry Hopson, who supplied me with this car.......1st time on the hard stuff... interesting!!!!

Went to have a look at the Iowa Speedway in Newton. Nobody around and the track was open so we did 2 laps on the track then high tailed it....got the whole deal on video to confirm the feat!!!!

Went and saw my 1st NHRA meet at Brainerd Mn. 6 hour drive each way...worth every minute...

Also managed to get down to Petal Mississippi and catch up with Forum Member Willian Sharp, owner of the beautifully restored Edelbrock Delara sprintcar....
Last edited by bobjeffreson on August 21st, 2010, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

Re: Aussie in the 'States.......

Post by bentley marshall »

looks like a great trip bob !!
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

sounds like you really enjoyed yourself!!!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

chief,
ENJOYED IT.....is a huge understatement.
I and my 2 mates were allowed to go without our wives...the ultimate boys holiday... :D
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Sounds like a very memorable time!!!

I've seen the sprint cars, and they are wild, but I'm a big DRAG fan mostly.

How could you ever describe the sound of the NHRA Top Fuelers launch to someone who'd never stood there in person? It's unlike anything else in motorsports.

Fantastic trip!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

"How could you ever describe the sound of the NHRA Top Fuelers launch to someone who'd never stood there in person? It's unlike anything else in motorsports."

You're dead right M.R.O...
....it's like trying to describe a colour to someone unsighted....impossible I suggest!
When a top fueller launches, it violates every one of your senses....it's awesome.....it's exciting...it's confronting....it's painful...then it's gone....... and one cannot wait for the for next time...it's addictive...... :shock:
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

Hey Bob: Great trip! The resemblance between you and William is striking ..... it must be something to do with the both of you being spint car nuts :lol:

Kevin