1/4 scale funny cars

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
alloyparts
Legacy Member

1/4 scale funny cars

Post by alloyparts »

Hi guy's, I am in the process of trying to get some of the quarter scale back in my area.
I am in the process of building a 1/4 scale t/f funny car, it will have a full tube chassis and either a worm gear diff or a quick change, I have been in touch with a guy that has a mold for new style t/f funny car bodies.
I will keep you guy's posted as things progress and get some pictures up as the chassis and things come together.
I am building the first one for myself and will be posting it on the net to see what kind of intrest it brings. If I get enough intrest in it I will start to produce them.
We are also getting alot of guy's intrested in running 1/4 scale dirt oval here, we are looking at running sprints and thinking about running a street stock class.
I will post more as it comes. We are in Niagara Falls NY and should have the oval up and running soon, we hope to have a full race schedule for next season.
Thanks for listening and let me know what you think of the idea
Thanks Fred
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

You will get interest.... the problem is getting the people to dish out the cash to buy them, so it will be very important to make sure you have a good website, attend RC shows with a booth and get some coverage in magazines. I think your biggest problem will be the rear. Gears, machining, casting, etc are expensive to design and build. Especially in small quantities.
The old time 1/4 scale guys go around these costs by hand carving parts themselves and making the molds, leaving just a production cost. It takes a lot of skill to make such a tool corectly.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
alloyparts
Legacy Member

Post by alloyparts »

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. I have been looking at a few different ways to go about the rears. You are correct about the cost on a small scale of production.
That being said, if there is enough intrest in it to cover the cost it will be well worth the effort, I am not looking to make a living at it but to bring back somthing that has ben lost over the years. I know that my rear end would not be worth the price of a Seco, but if it can sell for a bit more than the building cost it will be time well spent.
I too have a mill here at home and do make some of my own parts and things for my own projects.
I look forward to hearing more from guy's that have tried it and from people that might have some intrest.
Thanks for allowing me to post on your web site and thanks for what you have done for the hobby
Fred
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Fred, glad to hear your dedication. I agree if you can break even on the rears it is worth the investment. Currently I am working with the original owner of Pacesetter to find his QC mold for his QRS line of cars. He has found the guy that possesed it, but we are trying to get him to look for it. Last word was that he thought it was still alive. This mold is capable of plastic and investment cast housings. The gears are still available as well. I think this may be a inexpensive solution for us and I hope it pans out, but like all things the process is painfully slooooooooow. :D
alloyparts
Legacy Member

Post by alloyparts »

Mike I have not been able to find any of the origianl gears but I have been doing alot of searching and found some close.
I would love to know where the gears are avalible from and at what price, I have found some of the quick change gears but no ring and pinion and for a fair price.
I have not been able to get someone to sell me a set for less than 300.00!
They are not worth that in my opinion.
Please email me with some info if you can at derf54@verizon.net
Thanks again
fred 8)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Fred, gears are a problem. To get them at a good price you need to buy 100 sets. Now thats for skellenger/raco/new era/H&L type of ring and pinion. If you make a different housing you can put bigger gears in it and with the power of the engines now and days thats not a bad idea. There is a variety of straight cut and bevel gears out there that are standard in lots of industrial equipment, just not the size of the gears from years past.
first25q

Post by first25q »

Hi Fred i was wondering if this type of rear would work for you.I know the guy who has the molds.He is a pretty nice guy to work with .Here are a couple of pics .
Thanks Ed
**PLEASE TRY TO UPLOAD THE PICS AGAIN** **ADMIN**
alloyparts
Legacy Member

Post by alloyparts »

Yes thid type is what I am looking to make, I need dimensions though so I can make sure the gears I am looking at will work.
Email me at derf54@verizon.net so we dont clutter the board with chit chat.
I will post the results as soon as I get things going
Thanks Fred :D
first25q

Post by first25q »

Ok Fred you can call me.We just talked i think over the weekned.
Thanks ED
fordfreak05

Post by fordfreak05 »

I AM IN THE MI AREA I ALSO AM IN THE PROSSES OF GETTING EVERY THING AROUND TO START BUILDING 1/4 SCALE FUNNYCARS AND DRAGSTERS,MY ONLY PROBLUMS ARE THE REARENDS AND WHAT SIZE MOTOR TO OFFER IN THEM. JUST WAITING FOR MY STEEL TO ARIVE!!! I CANT SEE THE PICS OF THS REAREND MOLDS FOR SOME RESON
THANKS JASON
mtmoore1

Post by mtmoore1 »

Hey Fred and Jason good luck on you projects, hope to see some photos soon. I'm also working on a car, I hope to have it done soon.
Mike Moore
Pro-Max Performance
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

There has been some confusion on molds and rears. The molds that I am trying to get a hold of are for the QRS style rear. The second and third pictures are cheap sandcast copies of these rears and are NOT molds as you can see from the pictures. The first picture is of a mold that I own and its the PBS aluminum QC rear. I will be making these but just for replacements on your raco cars. It does not make much sence to make them complete because they use the skellenger/new era/H&L/raco style gears that are expensive unless you buy a bunch. The QRS rear will house much cheaper gears. Again, sorry for any confusion.
alloyparts
Legacy Member

Post by alloyparts »

No worries Mike :D , I will post more info on what I have going on as it progresses.
Thanks to all, and good luck with your cars.
Fred
Arrow

working togeather

Post by Arrow »

Hi Mike and Fred
I am working for a group of people here in China that has put a manufacturing company together to reproduce ¼ scale cars and trucks they also want to produce the quick change rear ends with the gears. As the production cost are very low and we think that hobbyist will want to buy the units we produce.
We are looking for OEM companies to help with the reproduction of the products. We see your making some of the equipment but in small amounts but if you would be willing to combine some efforts we can use the energy to jump start this hobby in to the fun we all wanting to enjoy please feel free to contact us
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I dont feel that there is enough demand for quarterscale cars to warrant building them in China. To make it worth it you would need to make a thousand cars at a time and that would take forever to sell if you even did sell them all.