1/4 scale truggy ground up design for final year project

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
merlinsteve

1/4 scale truggy ground up design for final year project

Post by merlinsteve »

First draft of front suspension.
I have started drawing stuff up so that I have a model to work off. Nothing but the tires are actual dimensions. I am currently learning what I need to for the suspension geometry. once I have that set I can then start doing the calculations for the dimensions of the a arms springs etc.
I am tipping that I am just going to use 15 mm chrome molly tube but being that this will be a final year project I need to support my guesses with calculations.
I have a very long way to go before I actually get to the stage where i pick up a tool but it is all good.
Not having any hard ideas of things like reasonable weight speed, acceleration etc I have to make some very large guesses and then iterate until I get to where I want to be.
What I know.
Tube space frame chrome molly Including suspension a arms.
Wheels are Go Kart with 140mm diammeter inner rim and 300mm wide I will be using wet tires so I don't have an outer diammeter yet.
Engine I have been given a kt100j Go kart engine. the dyno puts it at 11 bhp at 8000 rpm with 11000 redline.
I want to make a gearbox so that i have reverse. I don't think I really need more than 1 forward gear but i am interested in maybe 3.
What I am guessing.
Weight. I am making my initial calculations based on a 45 KG car. I think I saw a comment somewhere here that 45 was way too heavy so I am happy to start there and reduce and re iterate as i get more accurate figures.

Anyway enough rambling. Here is a pic of the first draft solidworks model.
diff assy 01.jpg
any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Steve
merlinsteve

Re: 1/4 scale truggy ground up design for final year project

Post by merlinsteve »

Definitely does help. Thanks for that.
Steve