differential question

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Mr X

differential question

Post by Mr X »

my first post here and i would like to start off by saying what a great site this is and its very informative.
now to my question, i was thinking of making my own 1/4 scale buggy or truck or something not to race but to run for fun and to get the large scale experience which everyone is complementing about. i have planned out many different designs but i have one problem which is the differencial. i will be running the buggy mostly offroad and i dont know if i should have a differential or if i should the rear axle solid. the problem is that i dont have the money needed to buy one from a different car. i thought up of a ball differential with the same design as in 1/10 scale cars but will it hold up to all that power? is there some other way of making it using easily accessable parts like something from a real car. or should i leave out the diff competely? what will the effect of this be versus having a diff?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I think putting a diff in would be a waste of time. It will be driven on dirt and the only benifit to having a diff is for on road or real tight corner driving when driving. Some people did make diffs back in the day for 1/4 scale but they never really took off. Even the guys that race oval dont use them, they use stagger on the tires.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!