Gear ratio's

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Gear ratio's

Post by Big Trev »

Right guys, lets see who has some info on this subject.
Drag racers!
What track lengths and terminal speeds are are you running?. I trust everyone is running 330 feet?!, or at least this would be the case if there was serious 1/4 scale clubs? Yes?
Running a rear end, ie seco and the like.....please share some info on what engine BHP/rpm, drop gear ratio, final drive ratio (crown wheel and pinion) and what diameter tires is common?
For example I have a Pacesetter with approx 5-6 BHP / 12000rpm motor running through 1,5:1 drop gear ratio, a 4:1 final drive and 9" diameter tire. I have no idea if this would be near the mark? I have drop ratios between 1:1 and 1,5:1 which gives me a output axle rpm of between 1666 to 2500 rpm with 4:1 final drive and I also have a 3:1 final drive that will give me a 2222 to 3333 rpm at the output with the same drop gear ratios. What are the minimum and maximum ratio variations be for any given tire sizes?. It would seem most guys run the front kart tires on the rear which range in what diameters?
Maybe Bob S can help out with some ideas for modding the rear ends to make them stronger? and maybe let a couple of secrets out regards what gears you run inside? Also, what experiences have you guys had with higher power and torque loads going through the old standard seco bits, what breaks or wears out quick and what have you guys done to fix the problems, material changes?
Monster and stadium trucks?
Opposite extreme, but same question, what can anyone share with regards drop gear and final drive ratios in scale type rear ends with what diameter tyres for fairly brisk stadium truck type against rock crawling slow high torque rigs?
I hope this post gets a few responses from all you knowlegeable chaps out there. Look forward to it.
Who ate all the pies?