1/4 Scale Diff Build

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

1/4 Scale Diff Build

Post by bentley marshall »

im making this diff to go under the 1/4 scale truck im building
im using a smartech center diff crownwheel and pinion
a baja alloy diff
im going to use baja dog bones and outer axles and bearing holders
the rest i will be making myself
will allso be fitting ESE hydro brakes

heres some pic's of what ive done so far
Attachments
Image0109.jpg
Image0108.jpg
Image0107.jpg
Image0106.jpg
Image0105.jpg
dwayne

Re: 1/4 Scale Diff Build

Post by dwayne »

Wow Bentley - looks great. i used those same gears and did a Quickchange diff..however it was made from steel and welded so pretty ugly compared to yours..Hopefully the 1/4 stockie will fire soon...Building another 1/4 scale stockie but going brushless on that one..Gasman has started building his 1/4 sprintcar so hopefully getting a few more here in NZ! Cheers Dwayne
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

cheers dwayne its a lot of work in making a diff isnt it :roll:
im going to use a reduction on the engine

if the stock cars take off here i might have to build one too (dam more projects)

i allready have a 1/4 sprint car and a nascar

post some pics of your diff or email some to me ive herd about it would like to see it
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Yeah Brian tried to convince me to do the reduction off the motor, but I wanted the look of the QC. The ring gear is quite big so my housing ended up big as well...I'm not overly worried cos extra weight over the rear wheels will be fine, as the front end with all the bar work is heavy. I'm just trying to fit some oil breathers, sealed bearings etc in the QC so i can run proper diff oil..Thats proving a challenge and i should have just stuck with grease..Once Ive got it sorted i'll email you some pics. Trying to get Bruce Clarke to get my chassis jig back so i can knock up a new chassis. If you decide to make one then you can borrow the jig...decided on the Castle creations 1/5th brushless system - something like 10hp with 8s2p lipos..Sounds like it will wheelstand! lol. catch ya Dwayne
gasman

Post by gasman »

LOL hardcase seeing you on here....the sprintcar is progressing well, just ordred the BRP wheels and tyres, scored a Zenoah monday night, and have just sorted a belt drive system that is comercialy available here in NZ. the Chassis is half built, just making the motor mount plate. I'll post up some photos soon.
Cheers Chris
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Gasman...LOL alright..we work 5 mins apart but get online via America! Id be interested in seeing the belt setup cos I'm definately going brushless and thinking of using a belt setup etc. I'm waiting on Castle Creations to confirm the ratio for me but i think Baja uses 8.38 ratio or something like that so need to find right pinion/spur/pulley arrangement..what cc rating on the zenoah? Diff should be back this week, will put it in and then take some photos of the ugly beast...What are you using for front steering spindals and hubs for the Bishop tyres? Sorry for hijacking your thread Bentley..
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

hijack away its sweet but its abaout time you showed off the cars your building !!!

the ratio on my 1/4 sprint is 6:1 and is running 23 cc zenoah ... seems to have heeps of power maybe becouse it's very light ..i havent checked my nascar yet to see what that is but im picking it will be much the same
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
mike here,just thought i would let you guys know im building two 1/4 scale sprint cars at the moment also,im down in christchurch,will get a few pics at some stage,have a few guys here interested so should get some racing happening,

cheers mike
gasman

Post by gasman »

the off the shelf ratio is 6:1, and looks sweet, but i will have to do a bit of lightening, these guys can do any size, so once its going i'll increase from 60 to 64 tooth sprocket. The front axle is a beam, with rod ends for camber, my own spindles and hubs.
Once work quietens down next week, I'll take some pictures....
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

mad62 wrote:hi guys,
mike here,just thought i would let you guys know im building two 1/4 scale sprint cars at the moment also,im down in christchurch,will get a few pics at some stage,have a few guys here interested so should get some racing happening,

cheers mike
sweet mike will be keen to see pics of ya sprints ..

there is a guy in rotorua has a few sprints and a guy in auckland used to have one not sure if he still has or not

bryan from rc innovations is keen to build or buy one too

i have 2 spare sprint bonnets if any one needs one or use for a mould

heres a link to my sprint http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/bb/v ... f=9&t=2290
flo5

Post by flo5 »

Hello,

Keen to get more info on supplier of belt drive in NZ. Any help appreciated.....

Cheers

Fraser (Oamaru)
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

hi fraser theres a place called transmision house here in hamilton has stuff like that look them up on the net
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

flo5 wrote:Hello,

Keen to get more info on supplier of belt drive in NZ. Any help appreciated.....

Cheers

Fraser (Oamaru)

what are you building ????
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

Wow - looks like some real interest happening in NZ. Gasman - Looks like I'll have to build a Sprintcar too. Once you get yours sorted I'll have to steal it so i can copy it! lol..I will post some pics of stockcar next week, still pretty rough but getting there...
gasman

Post by gasman »

I got my pulleys and belts fron Saeco, 5mm pitch teeth. ultimatley a bigger pitch may be better. i,m jigging the chassis as I'm building it, so no worries building more.
building a cluch housing for the zenoah tomorrow.