The most valuable 1/4 scale car.

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
alloyparts
Legacy Member

Post by alloyparts »

Does anyone know when Gary is going to have these for sale? I called him a while back and he said he had no rears for sale.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

He told me that he was already selling them and that was a long time ago. I have seen some pics of cars with them in them. Someone should give him a call 8)
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
first25q

Post by first25q »

Mike from understanding that is the prototype rear that Gary made.
I know first hand that the rear was offered on the hush to a gentleman from NJ.
He talked to the owner of the rear and he said to buy it. I know both gentleman.
Ed
first25q

Post by first25q »

Mike just me again reading post why must you discourage guys from buliding things .
Just a little info a mold for a body is around $500.00 if you find the guy.
Even one of your bodies to make for just under 450.00.
I Have a mold for a glass ford truck body,funny car and a 34 ford glas body all under 500.00 a mold.
Ed
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Not discouraging anyone. There are a bunch of people making cars and such as we speak.
$500 sounds right for a "Splash" mold or a "back pour" mold but you can not make an original body for that cheap. It takes 60-100 hours of work to just make a plug scaling it off a correct model. People with artistic skills this way dont work for that cheap. After that you will need to build the mold. Fiberglass molds are super cheap to make and that would run about $400-$500 for a good one. If you want a lexan mold that is production quality plan on spending 3-4 times that, unless you do it yourself. You can spend $400-500 in materials doing it all by yourself.
I wondered that about the conley rear. He told me he was selling them and those were the prices he told me he was getting.... but who knows, someone should call if they are interested. Personally, i just collect the old school stuff. 8)
first25q

Post by first25q »

Mike i am not to sure you right on your last post.About the prices.
AS you know i can make anything from a pic.
Like i did for you with your rear.
When you find the right guy with the right machine,like a Cnc Router.
With the right software package with Digitising capibilities,Cad Cam.
Man hours and a skilled craftman are not needed.
As far as discouraging people. Go back look at your post.
Where guys are saying that they want to build a car,truck, body,tires or rear.
Your price is always 5 to 10 grand to get started.
I know if i was getting that info i would give up before i start.
We should talk on the phone about prices.
I think you have my number if not. There a few guys on here that do.
I am up late everynight.
ED
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Why would I call you? Its not up to discussion. Why would I try to discourage people from making stuff. Its not like the old days when people splashed every body, backpoured all the lexan bodies and manufactured parts off of others blueprints without paying them. I am sharing what information I have from professionals. These prices are in line with other peoples quotes here on the board for high end manufacturing including prices paid in the past from manufacturers. If you have other prices thats great! Start up a 1/4 scale business and start selling them or share this information and contacts with others here on the forum, there is a few guys here that are putting together cars, rears and wheels to sell and I am sure they would appreciate spending 80% less then they are now. I am a collector, I sell stuff to help some out. If people want it, great! If not thats cool too. I dont sell anything to make money. Everything I make is because I want it for myself and I am more then happy to share it with others.
I never got anything on the rear but just a pic of a gear cover with dimensions from you. I am still trying to get the original tooling for that rear. The creator of it left it at the injection molders and is having a hard time getting it back :(
Now that this has gotten waaaaay off topic, what do you consider the most valuable 1/4 scale car?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Pics deleted due to information from first25q in a PM stating that Conley did not want these pictures posted anywhere or anyone to know about this. It was my understanding these were for sale and I recieved these pictures to see the quality of the rear. Apparently this is not the case. Sorry. For more information on it contact Conley or first25q.
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Post by Big Trev »

I have been trying to get many bits and pieces into production for a long old while. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say they could make something for me for very little outlay, I would have more hair. Fact is, enthusiasm aside, Mike is right when it comes down to it. Nobody really wants to do anything for nothing. True hobby enthusiasts have good intentions and would like to believe they can make loads of bits for little money, and share this with everyone, but time usually does not allow. In most of my cases I have had to try find the most reasonably priced manufacturers to fulfill my requirements. This costs loads of wedge, no matter who you find, and on top of that they normally do not appreciate the price and quality sensitive market. Mass produced RC bits in other scales and markets are cheap, but even those supply companies won't get involved in small quantities such as for 1/4 scale.
Fact, it is a small market, very few are willing to pay what it costs, nobody makes money from manufacturing. Everyone making or selling 1/4 scale cars or parts, have supplementary income from other sources.
Who ate all the pies?
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Post by Big Trev »

Sorry, on topic!
The most valuable 1/4 scale car is the next great one!
Who ate all the pies?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Trev, thats why its important to make just what YOU like. Which I know you do :D I would be willing to bet you will never get your money back on all those goodies you are working on.... but who cares? As long as you love the stuff, thats what its all about. 8)
killermolly

most valuable

Post by killermolly »

I don't know if this is the most valuable but I think it's cool.
killermolly

most valuable

Post by killermolly »

more pics.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yea, thats one of them I was talking about that had the conley rear in it. You might have to delete the pics showing the rear. I guess Conley does not want anyone showing them. :cry:
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Post by Big Trev »

Now that is sweet, very nice....where is that hiding?
Who ate all the pies?