shipping across borders...

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

shipping across borders...

Post by Mike Casey »

So, there has been discussion in the past as to why people from the US dont want to ship across borders...

Well, i have just had TWO bad experiences on ebay with this in the past week. Both auctions are listed as US only. But lucky me that one was won by a guy in canada and another by a guy in Israel because apparently hooked on phonics did not work for either.

The first thing the guy in canada complains about is the shipping cost. So i eat some of it and reduce the price for him. Takes him 3 days to pay. I ship the next business day. Then i start getting emails every other day asking for tracking and bill of lading and I send it to him each time. Then i get an email this past saturday bitching he had to pay customs and he thought that $17 was way too much for shipping and that i better resolve this? WTF??? Now he is asking for yet another copy of the bill of lading?!? So i send it again... This was for a $100 part and i am wasting my time with this fool? Yes, you have to pay customs, yes, you have to pay freight!!! How does this guy make it through the day without walking into walls?

The next guy wins the auction and then sends me an email right away and says that freight is too much... Uhmmm OK, maybe first you should have read its a US only auction and secondly maybe you should have asked first? And yes, you do need to pay freight and yes it will be expensive since you are NOT in the US!!!!!

*$*%!!!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
M.R. Ogle

Re: shipping across borders...

Post by M.R. Ogle »

I hear ya!

My ONLY negative feedback in the past ten years was from a transaction I cancelled from an overseas bidder (Germany) , because, although my auction CLEARLY stated, "US bidders ONLY", he still snuck in at the last minute and won. So I cancelled his bid, then he dinged me with bad feedback. I complained to the 'bay, they didn't care, they said he was the winning bidder, but then showed me how to go into the seller's tools and block any countries I don't want to sell/ship to.

So, I learned that it really does NOT matter what you write in the text of the auction, if you want to ship only to the US, go in to your "Seller's Tools" and block the other countries.

I sell through my Grand Motorsports website, too... Also can be a hassle of multiple back-and-forth emails with international shipping quotes, multiple Pay-Pal transactions (and resulting fees), filling out customs forms, and being asked to "fib" about the declared value, and listening to grumbling about how much shipping costs. But I always get the item and shipping costs settled and paid for FIRST, then I send the order.
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

Hi Mike ,Don't include me in the DUH list. I pay fast,I know that shipping can be high sometimes, But I don't care ,As long as I get the part.I don't call unless its 1 month or so and no part.A lot of people are so impatient and don't understand the cost between both countries.I always call the seller and ask if they ship to Canada.And a shipping quote.I know what is reasonable.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I charged $17 and paid $18.30 for UPS.

This is the email i get from this moron? He is obvoisly nuts. Read below...

"First of all big guy, You didn't show me this 3 time. Just now because i would of questioned about the fucken $8.00 you paid to ship it. You emailed someone else with out a doubt.. How much did i pay you for shipping and how long it took to arrive. I get stuff quicker from China then what this took.

2nd,. I remember you from the past who bitched about my quarter scale Castrol John Force funny car i had by stating over and over that it's not a NEW ARA car when i had it listed on ebay years ago and you demeaned me to change my description to a Ppacesetterr instead. You probably bought it by now and the Castrol dragster that i had. They did go to California. Now i see them on your website.

I'm done with you and i to get back to work. Pay me the shipping difference and i'll leave it at that with no feedback left.."

Uhmmm, i see the BRP banner on my site too. Does that mean i own BRP? Also all the cars in the picture section. Damn, just realized i must own those too!! Ok everyone, ship me my stuff asap. I need it back!!! FYI here is a screen shot from UPS.Com

I have never had a problem with you PT or K. Top notch guys that understand everything is not free even though your healthcare is :) LOL.
Attachments
ups.JPG
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

Hi Mike, I have had extra shipping cost tacked on to the original shipping quote. The extra is our Canadian postal service.I think I've been dinged 3 or 4 times over the years.I don't think these guys know that they can fill out a form at the post office to request the extra cost back.
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

Maybe they should do what I did.I have account with a company in Niagara Falls N.Y. The price of shipping is a lot lower because you pay US shipping prices.And they are 10 minutes over the border.And no problem coming back over.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I dont care what they do. Dont make it my problem. I have no control over UPS costs, UPS transit times OR Customs fees. I simply ship what i am paid for. I lost on this transaction. Dont forget ebay charges 3% on ups charges, plus 3% on paypal. I thought i was being nice by giving this freight discount. On top of that, they guy he outbid by $2.00 pays prompt, does not bitch and oh yea, can afford to pay his OWN shipping. He is not in the US either, but has a respectable history with sellers.

sorry for venting. Just this pety crap really upsets me. I have much more important things to worry about.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Mark... That's funny that you'd say that about having a NY shipping address, my buddy Dale Epp (Protoform) lives in St. Catherines, but has me shipstuff to him to a PO box in Lewiston, NY.
I'm sure you've sitting been in the border-crossing traffic lines with him at some point., LOL!
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

It's probably the same place.I cross over the Lewiston Bridge to get there.
speedy
1/4 scale guru

Post by speedy »

hmmm not sure how to say on this I bought a car from Mike last year and came right in with no trouble sure i had to wait a few days for them to clear and Billy has sent me many cars and stuff no trouble ..the only trouble i had with funkys car sent was the paper work was filled out wrong by his girl at work ..but was final fixed ..plz guys don't start putting out there that its not worth dealing with guys out side the u/s ..this will kill me in trying to buy stuff from you all and others that may have something i really want ..yes there is some brain dead ass holes out there but a few of us are on the up and up on this stuff ... sorry Mike if the 2 guys gave you a bad taste for dealing out side of home not all apples from the tree are bad ..
thanks
Tommy
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

tommy, i dont have problems shipping stuff to members here. i know everyone is good. But these ebay lowlifes are getting on my nerves.
Paul
1/4 scale guru

Post by Paul »

QSL wrote:So, there has been discussion in the past as to why people from the US dont want to ship across borders...

Well, i have just had TWO bad experiences on ebay with this in the past week. Both auctions are listed as US only. But lucky me that one was won by a guy in canada and another by a guy in Israel because apparently hooked on phonics did not work for either.

The first thing the guy in canada complains about is the shipping cost. So i eat some of it and reduce the price for him. Takes him 3 days to pay. I ship the next business day. Then i start getting emails every other day asking for tracking and bill of lading and I send it to him each time. Then i get an email this past saturday bitching he had to pay customs and he thought that $17 was way too much for shipping and that i better resolve this? WTF??? Now he is asking for yet another copy of the bill of lading?!? So i send it again... This was for a $100 part and i am wasting my time with this fool? Yes, you have to pay customs, yes, you have to pay freight!!! How does this guy make it through the day without walking into walls?

The next guy wins the auction and then sends me an email right away and says that freight is too much... Uhmmm OK, maybe first you should have read its a US only auction and secondly maybe you should have asked first? And yes, you do need to pay freight and yes it will be expensive since you are NOT in the US!!!!!

*$*%!!!

Now this is not the first time i have had problems with shipping to canada. I have had other deals where guys were really suprised that they had to pay shipping and that yes, it cost more then $5??? WTF is wrong with the water up there?
WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, i KNOW.... 1/4 SCALE LOVERS LOVES BIG THINGS, WANT THE BEST BUT THEIR WALLETS ARE 1/150!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

AMEN
Fargophil

Post by Fargophil »

Sold an airplane kit on another forum and the first responder was also from Isreal. Wanted to pay full price which was attractive but the shippin instructions seemed sketchy. Checked International shipping and his respponse was to take it to the PO and have them post it as it would "probably" be cheaper. Right Im going to have the wife take me to the PO, as I dont drive, wait in line to see if they come up with a lower price then email him and maybe wait for the $$$. Took less from a US citizen and all went well.
Ive shipped to Austrailia and they all knew it was going to cost to get it but they wanted it so they paid it.