Obama care

General hang out to post about our lives!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Obama care

Post by Mike Casey »

Ok guys, I am sure most of you watched Obama last night on his healthcare reform. Interested to hear your thoughts....
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
M.R. Ogle

Re: Obama care

Post by M.R. Ogle »

He's got THIS much right... the time for partisan bickering is over. I copied this from Forbes:

The real long-term risk to national solvency is . . . health-care costs. According to Congressional Budget Office projections, the long-term change in the government's fiscal situation is entirely due to growth in Medicare and Medicaid spending. From an investor's perspective, the primary risk is that the government will do nothing; in that case, Medicare costs will explode the budget within our children's lifetimes.

Insofar as long-term budget imbalances are a threat, and insofar as that threat has been increased by the recession, the argument for health-care reform is only strengthened. This is why all versions of the bill include measures to reduce the growth rate of health-care costs. There may be disagreements about how best to reduce costs, but that's where the debate should be, not over whether we can "afford" reform.

Put another way, if you are for fiscal discipline, you should be for health-care reform. If our government cannot produce some kind of reform, that will only reinforce the perception that our political system is incapable of resolving our largest, most difficult problem.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I can agree with that. What I cant agree with is the way he wants to do it...

Goverment care? Do you like going to the DMV? Because this is not going to be much different. What Goverment service can you honestly say does a good job and you are happy with?

Obama says that todays health care companies will still be around and you dont need to use his... Well think about it. The goverment has no issue what so ever running in the red. What do you think this will do to the "competition" ? Every company will opt to give their employees the Obama plan because it WILL be MUCH cheaper. I know I will switch everyone over at my company to save money. A good example is the post office. They can deliver a letter for 44 cents. How can they do this and make money? They cant!! Also do you think that someone is going to open a mail delivery service to compete? NOPE, because they will not make any money!! The goverment can print their own money and they have no problem running in the RED!

Obama says that his program will be self funding by its members, yet he states its going to cost us billions over the next 10 years??

Obama says that illegal immigrants will not be able to participate... LIE! His plan does state that illegal imigrants can not be part of the program but he has also made it illegal to verify anyone is legal?!?

A big part of Obamas argument is that he wants to offer cheap health insurance. Before our company offered insurance myself, my wife and my 2 children were on a blue cross plan that WE paid for and it was $100 per month. Sure, did not have many frills, but if one of us got really sick we were not losing our house. Programs are already out there.

In the end, its very simple. Here is my plan...

1- EVERYONE is required to purchase insurance.
2- If you dont have insurance... NO SERVICE.

The illegal imigrants and un insured citizens are the cause of our over priced insurance along with state mandates that increase them as much as 18%. Remove these from the mix and before you know it, health insurance will be at a level that it should be.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Seeveral good points.

I don't propose that I understand the fluid dynamics of economic scale. They have smarter people than me working on that. I also thought it was counter-intuitive to start spending government money in a recession, but the vast majority of non-partisan economists say otherwise.

Maybe it will work out to be cheaper in the long run, but I think the majority of economists are just looking to "bend the cost curve", not a 100% cure, but sure as hell better than looking theother way and trotting out that ol' "government is the Problem" axiom. What does that contribute to solving the problem? It's too complex to reduce to simplistic sloganeering.

Personally, I tend to believe Nobel-prize in Economics winner Paul Krugman. He just makes sense to me.

The cost of doing something vs. the cost of doing nothing. This is a tough, multi-layered issue to try to tackle. I'm glad the new administration has made it a top-shelf issue. It's not about us vs, them, black vs white, rich vs. poor, red states or blue states... it's an economic problem, a black mark on our society as a whole, and a reality we need to fix without all the inflammatory rhetoric.

If we try something and it doesn't work, I still give this administration credit for finally growing a pair and facing a REAL problem head on.

Or, maybe we should just ignore it ... and go attack Iraq...??
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

By the way...

Su problema particular de California con los inmigrantes ilegales que drenan el estado de recursos es una preocupación genuina, pero no el quid del country' entero; probem de s con los precios crecientes de cuidado médico… sin importar qué Juan y Ken piense.

Get a kid in a California public school to read this to you... this is the language most of them are being taught in.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

Gov't run healthcare? I wish to defer to the President himself (and not his teleprompter).

Aug 12. 2009 Knoxville Examiner -- Obama was trying to calm concerns that the government program was meant to eliminate private health-care companies. After pointing out that UPS and FedEx are effectively competing with the USPS Obama added, “It's the post office that's always having problems”.

Well said Mr.President.