Gilmer gearbox and engine project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Gilmer gearbox and engine project

Post by Mike Casey »

We sold about 30 of those daytona bodies. I dont even have one anymore...
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I had some very good times on QSL back in the day, for me it was very exciting and new, and to see all the members sharing the same interest was bar none. I sort of missed them days as much as the 80s. Anyway here's my Daytona 10 years ago, still can't believe it? This was in my old house in NYC when I had at least 25 1/4 scales in the basement :o

Mike I remember when I posted this project back then,you only said one word "Interesting"
Attachments
IMG_20120503_131827[1697].jpg
6410381_orig[1702].jpg
1584079_orig[1699].jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

It is interesting. The frame looks like it would have totally worked!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Yes I had the frame pretty close, needed a little more nip and tucks but then the Harley came into the picture and I sold everything. I believe that also had the winters rear mocked up.

Mike what happened to those gorgeous Dayton frames you were making, was anyone lucky enough to score one? Thing with these 1/4 scale Daytons is, you needed the right size tires and special wheels that made all the difference in the world to look proper, just my opinion.
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Awesome project Emilio!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

One went to germany and one sits under my aluminum coupe. I was lucky enough to obtain the QRS blue prints and I made a jig using them. Did a couple slight modifications.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Was able to find a new cylinder head to put in place of the original heat sink/head that was to close to the body. This head works fine with plenty of head room, pun intended. :D

Next up are the brakes and steering linkage.
Attachments
O.s max 61 SF cylinder head.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

For the folks who are following this thread, I forgot to add this important photo. If you are going to use a sprocket and chain you will need to remove the original axle hub on which ever side you choose, right or left, which has a thin sleeve built into the hub, this obviously rides against the sleeve of the bearing which tightens the axle from moving or end play for better words. The 2 photos show the original Gilmer hub and the fabricated one from the bearing sleeve.

Here is my simple solution and works very well, you will need to take apart a bearing with a 1/2" diameter sleeve, slice off the width that of the original sleeve and clean nicely so it's smooth and true, now you can mesh the sprocket to ride against the bearing sleeve, it's a perfect solid fit with no friction or obstruction. Hope you find this helpful :)
Attachments
20180812_164256.jpg
20180812_164324.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

First need to give Michale (rcberlingarage) a shot out for the help and assistance he gave me during this project, for providing me with info from his CAD Gilmer project, messurements for my 90 degree gearbox, and his blue print for the brake caliper axle hub, rotor hub and bearing sleeve so I could provide a CNC shop with this info to fabricate a set, BUT, Michale went one step beyond that and made me a 3D print out of the setup, which will make it very easy for the CNC shop to visually see it! Also, Michale provided me with an ebay link to the caliper that would be needed! Thank you Michale.

Here is the 3D plastic print out of the setup, believe it or not, I could probably use this setup just as it is to run, but will use it as a staic display until I'm ready for the final CNC aluminum parts.

So in the interim, I painted the parts silver but didn't want to smooth out the plastic to much so what you see under the paint is the texture from the printer. Now I am 90% through the project with only a master cylinder and brake line left. Hope you enjoy the project :)
Attachments
Gilmer Brake Set 5.jpg
Gilmer Brake set 4.jpg
Gilmer Brake set 3.jpg
Gilmer Brake set 1.jpg
Gilmer brake Set 0.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Absolutely stunning!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye for all your comments and photos that also heped this project. Here's what it will stay until I get to New Jersey's CNC shop.
Attachments
Gilmer Brake Set 7.jpg
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Post by rc garage berlin »

Hey Emilio,

I am so happy that the parts arrived and you like them. Please make shure that the rotor hub will be made from hardened steel. Otherwise the threads are a little short. The brake disc is european standard so i could not make the hub larger. The rear axle should have two flat areas for the screws to mount the rotor hub.

Well done.
Michael
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks been a while, here are the 3D printed brake parts I had made for my Gilmer which consist of aluminum and steel, the caliper and rotor are not 3D printed. The 3D printed parts were made by a company in Belgium, and again thanks to Rcgarage Aka Michael for providing me the Step files for the prints. The finishes can be made smoother than what is being shown but I don't see the point as it is only cosmetic. Next I have to find a master cylinder and I want to run copper tubing for a brake line. Coming this spring I'm going to start my one off pacesetter sprint car which miraculously I found an original pacesetter quick change rear found in these sprint cars, hope you enjoy the projects. :D
Attachments
Gilmer1 brakes.jpg
Gilmer3 brakes.jpg
Gilmer2 brakes.jpg
RobbieG

Post by RobbieG »

Terrific work Emilio, & thanks for sharing.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Robbie