Another funny car project...

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Re: Another funny car project...

Post by rc garage berlin »

MAC Tools Stickers arrived today from england...
Attachments
IMG_0527.jpeg
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

For me this is art!
Attachments
Pacesetter V8 Frontal.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

rc garage berlin wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:48 am For me this is art!
It is for me as well !

Kaye
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

So, my tires have now this white stripe. Does anyone know what it is for?
Attachments
IMG_0533 (1).jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

rc garage berlin wrote: January 19th, 2022, 1:55 am So, my tires have now this white stripe. Does anyone know what it is for?

I researched and found this, I hope it answers your question:

We still use it. When running a car often the driver is not aware of all the crew needs to know. His sensations on how the car performed are often vague and irrelevant because his skill is leaving on the tree (the so called 'Christmas tree lights). Some are completely ignorant when asked but since they can cut a great light you have to live with them. Many a crew chief including me puts a vertical stripe on the rear slick so he can watch "the Hook" I also often had it videoed so we could watch it later too. Every time the slick goes around spinning it costs about 1/10 of a second in lost et (elapsed time). In fact if it spun ten turns you loose a second. You learn to spend a good deal of your time playing with shocks, tire pressures, suspension bump stops and ride height trying to get this down to a minimum. The less experienced are resetting their timing, or changing jets, or something sexy, totally oblivious to the real job at hand that gives extraordinary times. Extraordinary "bite", that is what it is for and how it is used.

Typical comment from learning racers is "it didn't spin that much". Get them to add the stripe to the slick (or the old two colour painted wheel) and you will hear shortly. "Man I didn't think it spun that much!" The stripe gives your eye a point of reference in relation to the track and a poor traction is no longer a guess but is obvious. Some cars actually can pick up a second with a good crew chief, and little tricks like this, and never touch the engine to get it.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

That is realy interesting. Thank you Kaye. I must say that I never been to a race and never saw a Funny car for real till now. I built everything from pictures and informations are hard to find.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Just another question. Does someone know something about the Pacesetter framenumbers? Is there a list with all the numbers and you can see in which year it was built? Mine has the number 20 1111. Thank you so far...have a nice weekend.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

DIY-Tip : If milled parts are to expensive I use laser cut parts and drill them with a 3D-printed drill guide...
Attachments
IMG_0541.jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

rc garage berlin wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 9:03 am Just another question. Does someone know something about the Pacesetter framenumbers? Is there a list with all the numbers and you can see in which year it was built? Mine has the number 20 1111. Thank you so far...have a nice weekend.
I don't have any information about this. Perhaps another member may be able to answer your question.

Kaye
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

rc garage berlin wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 9:07 am DIY-Tip : If milled parts are to expensive I use laser cut parts and drill them with a 3D-printed drill guide...
Thanks for sharing this good idea!

Kaye
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

I really have to say that I am surprised by the high weight on the front axle caused by the heavy engine.
Because of the resulting friction, I had to add two bearings in the front wing and change the shock absorber to a stronger one.
Attachments
IMG_0554.jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

rc garage berlin wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:44 am I really have to say that I am surprised by the high weight on the front axle caused by the heavy engine.
Because of the resulting friction, I had to add two bearings in the front wing and change the shock absorber to a stronger one.
Your attention to these mechanical details is impressive!

Kaye
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

To attach the scoop to the four carburetors, Rolf Luther drilled a hole in each housing and taped four threads M2.5
Attachments
IMG_0561.jpeg
IMG_0563.jpeg
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

If you build a nice car it comes to the point when you have to decide where to put the RC components.Therefore I made a fake gas tank to store the batterys, the servo and the receiver. It also holds the tank for coolant.
Attachments
IMG_0570.jpeg
IMG_0569.jpeg
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Thinking about the colour of the scoop. Maybe red…
Attachments
0D3BC459-C0C1-4A44-A41E-CE3371EC0266.png