Which Pacesetter sprint car is this?

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Which Pacesetter sprint car is this?

Post by Mike Casey »

long gone. Was gonna try to bid on this one, but went too high for me. I have an old conley thats suited for such a machine.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

This auction baffled the crap out of me, I put a max bid of 3,000 after I lost a pacesetter a few months back and swore I would never lose one in auction again. I'm glad you chose to sit this one out Mike.

We all remember the pacesetter that went to Germany, I also was bidding on that one and went for 6,000.00. But none baffled me more than the one that was molested, sliced and diced with no original parts and fetched 2,400.00.

Did I pay a lot for my almost new pacesetter with a QC rear, aluminum rims and original tires and near complete at 1,200.00? I think I got the deal of the year.

Here's the sliced and diced pacesetter.
Attachments
s-l1600q.jpg
s-l1600x.jpg
s-l1600s.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I got the original flywheel and clutch today, the clutch is a centrifugal clutch and can play host to engines ranging from .60 to 90! I will be using a .90

I'm sharing photos for those who have never seen this type of setup and probably this is the only time any photos were post of one dissected, lord knows I searched endlessly to find this type of setup when I was doing my Gilmer, and is almost identical aside from the chain and sprocket. Anyway hope you enjoy, I will be continuing the Pacesetter project on another thread from start to finish.
Attachments
20180912_155320_resized.jpg
20180912_155325_resized.jpg
20180912_155242_resized.jpg
20180912_155247_resized.jpg
20180912_155229_resized.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Mike I'm not being nasty just pointing out the way this pacestter car fluctuates, but in my opinion I don't think anyone will get this type of pacesetter for under a 1,000.00
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Emilio, I suspect I'm an one of the luckiest people in our hobby. My Pacesetter, that was only ever started once, but never actually driven, cost me US$400. An unbelievable bargain, that still has me stunned.
Attachments
002 (2).JPG
001 (2).JPG
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Bob anybody that hasn't paid 6,000.00 for one is considered a lucky one, I've known you and the car for many years and yes you are a lucky one, look at it this way, when I was growing up in the late 60s early 70s gas was at most 60 cents a gallon, those prices are long gone and so are the $400.00 dollar Pacesetter sprints and the hose that used to go DING DING at the pumps :lol: All in all these pacesetters are a good investment, they will never lose their value for the fact that they were only 750.00 new.

Anyway, Bob post a shot of the inside if it's no trouble, also if you ever come accross the LRU sprint body please keep me in mind.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yup, never paid more then $700 for one. Market is soft now too. Time is on my side to find another one. These things are worth what you are willing to pay!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Mike, As we thought all those 9ish years ago, I still reckon that there is a Postman here in Sydney Australia, who still looks at the Pacesetter body and wonders....'what the firkin hell and I gunna do with this'. Will post some pics of the internals over the weekend. Be well.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

stupid lucky postman!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I was talking to someone and rumor has it that there are only 10 survivors left out of 50? I think this car will reach the holy grail status if not already, can't deny that this is one of the highly desirable 1/4 scales. I've wanted one for almost 12 years!

Notice: the topic, the avatars and photos are all Jeff Schmidt creations :D
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Emilio, One of the originators of 1/4 scale sprint cars in Australia, the late Keith "Nobby" Noble, told me a story many years ago. When he found out I had a Pacesetter, he said his club in Adelaide Sth Aust, ordered 7 Pacesetters from Jeff in the early 1980's. Don't you think that pricked up my ears. "Where did they all go?" Keith wasn't sure, as it had been over 20 years and he had lost contact with nearly all of the old guys. He did have a couple of names. I spent many, many months and much money on ads in newspapers. I eventually got a reply from an old ex speedway racer, who told me he had given his Pacesetter to a mate on loan, never to see it again. NO...Hopefully there are some still out there and I'll keep searching....
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Way more then 10. At one time I personally had 7. Then there were another 12 or so that went through my hands. Gotta remember, there were a bunch also sold as kits. Its hard to tell between a kit and one jeff made.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

With so many out there you would think there would be more photos than a handful on the internet this day in age, all I ever find are mostly Bobs beauty and some that have had the snot beaten out of them? Mike do you have any photos of all the pacesetters you had or passed on? This hobby is all about photos and info. :D
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Emilio, These have been posted previously.....always worth another look. Gary Conley's Pacesetter. These pics were taken in Gary's basement in 2011.
Attachments
America 2011 121 (2).JPG
America 2011 119 (2).JPG
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

Couple more from my files.
Attachments
Pacesetter A J Foyt.jpg
Pacesetter white b.JPG
Pacsetter red (2).jpg