Pacesetter Outlaw sprint car tear down and restoration.

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Re: Pacesetter Outlaw sprint car tear down and restoration.

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Mike and Fab. If I knew how to tig weld I would have spliced both pipes making a sort of "y" pipe but keeping the same distance between the 2. Would have loved it this way but better safe than sorry. I'm going to try and keep everything stainless and aluminum with no plastic parts except for the electronics.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Found this tank on the web and it is exactly what I'm looking for, for this car, I'm waiting on the full specs from the seller and if it can hold fuel. All I know so far is that the tank is aluminum at 108mm long which it is a perfect legnth and the other parts are steel. Hoping it will work :)
Attachments
20180928_121525.jpg
20180928_121447.jpg
20180928_121810.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Made a little more progress. I had some shocks from an old 1/4 scale which were anodized in gold, but I'm a natural color aluminum guy, here's a tip in case you don't know, easy-off oven cleaner takes off anodize coloring off aluminum but try it at you're own risk. I took apart the shock and emptied out the God awful smelly oil, tip #2 in case you have never done this, find a nice spring that fits and can hold the weight and bingo, no more sagging front end for this car.

Moving on, going through my tool box looking for something entirely different, I found a clamp along with it's grommet, and it fits my custom exhaust pipe perfectly! Anyway, I put a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint with more coats to come, after that, this time around I will not use clear coat as I never had any luck with it, going to light sand, polishing compound and than wax until I'm satisfied. Also nice decals on the way.

Last, I'm going to build a roll cage just over the cockpit area, it seems Jeff Schmidt had one on his outlaw sprint and seems most of this genre came equipped with them. Sadly need to order more tubing, just had enough for what I've done so far. Sorry for rambling on but I like to document everything I do. Hope you enjoy and input welcomed :)
Attachments
pace shock.jpg
pace clamp.jpg
pace primer.jpg
pace roll cage.jpg
sprintpicsandart002.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

All finished, holding off till winter to do the roll cage, fuel tank and electronics. I'll update the photos when the decals are placed. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
pace black4.jpg
pace black3.jpg
pace black2.jpg
pace black1.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Spiffy!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Received some decals today and will receive the rest in about a week or so which will be the hood scoop decals and a turned aluminum for the dash. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
3pace.jpg
2pace.jpg
1pace.jpg
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Post by rc garage berlin »

Wow, I like the black paint an the golden decals. Good job. Where do you get the decals or do you make them by yourself? And if yes, how do you make them.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Michael;
I searched a lot of sites that are pretty much the same as far as product, price and service goes, and chose, click the link ( https://www.letteringonthecheap.com/#/ ) I chose the option "Vinyl lettering" here you choose the type of color or finish, font,size, shape etc etc. all on their site. Also keep in mind that these are very expensive and the smaller you make them does not make the price lower, in some cases it was more. You don't want to make mistakes when applying them to your project. What you see on my car right now was over $200.00 shipped :o

Anyway, the decals come on a wax backing with a clear plastic over the top which make it very easy to see where you place them on your project.
Attachments
20181006_092317.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Here's a neat little trick. Making a seat for this car is a little difficult so I had to come up with a solution that would fit the part of a leather seat. I traced out the back rest area on to a piece of foam then onto another combining the 2, sanded down the edges, primed and painted, to add texture I heated up the foam or else it would have looked to slick and flat. Anyway, will up date the last set of photos when it is complete. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
20181006_182059.jpg
20181006_182059.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
20181006_180842.jpg
20181006_180924.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Back again, I was not happy with the seat so I went into a storage bin where I keep all odds and ends and found some leather I took from an old couch I had years ago. I cut the seam and used it as the boarder for the seat. Filled in all the gaps and gave it a test coat, tomorrow I'll sand some more around the edges and give it a final coat.
Attachments
20181006_193013.jpg
20181006_213208.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: Nice work on the leather seat!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye, not secured to the body yet as I might want to give it a more broken in look.
Attachments
Pace seat3.jpg
Pace seat2.jpg
Pace seat1.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I think down the road going to make the lower half of the seat.
Attachments
ps rear1.jpg
ps rear2.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Okay back again. My wife thought that the red I had was too bright and I think she's correct. after removing the seat, I had to find a way to get real leather on this seat. I made a slice around the boarder and tucked in the leather edges then glued inside the seam, then I added a thin piece of foam and painted it a darker red. It is a bit shinny to say the least but as it drys it might loose some shine or maybe over time.

There is really not much I can do with this car as far as the seating area goes for the fact that the driveline,engine, brake rotor, rotor arm level and portion of the QC rear sit right there, so I have to be happy with this. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
Seat new2.jpg
Seat new1.jpg
Seat new3.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

did you get the gas tank?
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!