Daytona Coupe 1/4 scale project.

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Daytona Coupe 1/4 scale project.

Post by Kaye »

Great detail !
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Mike, Cal and Kaye, I started the fiberglass on the wheel wells and came out very sturdy and I'm happy, I will fiberglass the back curved part of the well separately then join the pieces together. After, I will sand and shape them nicely ready for the under hood fit. I wonder where all the Daytona bodies are and what became of them ? Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
daytona well glassed 1.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Okay, my inevitable setback. I wanted very much to do the same hood hing setup as Jeff Schmidt design but knew that with the wide tires I have will only give the car 1/4" turning radius left and right, but told myself do it anyway and down the road I could get thinner wheels and tires and lengthen the axle...so on to plane B which will be no inner wheel wells but a bar like the one in the photo of the real chassis. It will still have a hing but I wanted very much to be like Jeff Schmidt. Oh well.
Attachments
1965-cobra-daytona-coupe-289-chassis-1 (1).jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Mike if no hassle can you please post a photo of the underside of the nose, it seems that a portion needs to be cut away to clear bars and tires when opening the hood? I dont want to cut and regret. Thanks Mike.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Okay, made the hood bar, made a simple hood hinge fiber glassed to the body which is very effective and will allow the hood to open anywhere between 20 and 90%. The hood aligns perfect with the rest of the body, just need to sand the rough fiber glass spots and paint a matte textured flat black under the hood then clean and paint the hood bar. At the moment need to determine if I have to trim under the nose to clear the bars and tires, no rush though. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
daytona hood hinge 3.jpg
daytona hood hinge 2.jpg
daytona hood hinge 1.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Nice work on the opening hood.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye, no matter what hinge type on this 1/4 scale, it needs a hinge to secure it to the body, unfortunately with my tires I would have to sacrifice a good chunk of the under nose altering the beauty of the nose when viewed at the profile. The hood bar and hinge I have is very solid if I were to run this car plus I'm going to have lower side fasteners. I'll keep the hood propped up in front to display the engine and keep the hood intact. Anyway, onto prepping the body for the paint theme then it's off to Daytona, Sebring, and Europe to win the FIA sports-car titles :D
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

😀
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, was going to use the original brake system that comes with the QRS rear that's used in the pacesetter sprint cars (shown in photo) and would have to fabricate brackets and linkage to make it work, so to put this much effort I chose to go hydraulic as I already have everything for the right side and missing only the caliper for the left side which will be here this week from Germany. I made the caliper adapter brackets and need to position and weld, also need to make a new QC rear mount to match the angle of the clutch bell, Going to strip the paint off the chassis and repaint. Well, hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
daytona qrs brake 1.jpg
daytona caliper 1.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Emilio:

May I ask what hydro brakes you are using? They seem a little larger than the typical 1/5 scale ones. A link to them would be great.

Thanks
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Lovedr here's the link, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mecatech-Brems ... 2749.l2649 I'm a returning customer. fair warning, these are not cheap and 30.00 shipping to boot. You'll also need some sort of adapter to hold the caliper, bearing and rotor. As shown in the photos. I have these on my Gilmer also. One more thing, if you buy from this ebay seller, part of the caliper comes anodized red, the caliper comes apart easy and use EZoff oven cleaner to remove the red in minutes. Just let it soak a few and wash.
Attachments
Gilmer2 brakes.jpg
Gilmer1 brakes.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Thank you Emilio

Few more questions, does it come with the rotor? And how does it compare in size to the typical 1/5 scale calipers? Sorry for all the questions.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Np lovedr, It does not come with a rotor but here's a link https://rc-car-online.de/de/products/fg ... asert.html to the one I have, I don't know how it compares to 1/4 or 1/5 scale but I believe all these parts are for 1/5 scale, I think they will do just fine on 1/4 scale cars, monster trucks are a different story. John Forster's calipers and rotors are significantly bigger. Here's a comparison photo. It really comes down to what works for you.
Attachments
brake caliper 1.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Thank you Emilio for the info and pic. I need them for the new era monster truck. And I’m not sure these would do the job either. I’ve thought of bike calipers, but I think those may be a bit large and require too much machining. Anyway, sorry to divert from your great build you got going on. Keep the progress coming..
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

NP Lovedr, maybe reach out to these guys if it's scale your looking for, I'm sure you're looking to do four rotors and calipers? http://www.acechassisco.com/products/pr ... parts.html