Raco Supermod 2 value?

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
YSRRider

Raco Supermod 2 value?

Post by YSRRider »

What kind of value would you guys put on a Raco Supermod (supermodified) 2? only 2 of them were imported to the US. Any others that are here were shipped over on the secondhand market. Over the past 20 years I have only seen 3-4 pop up. The yellow one, the black one and the Havoline one shown on the page in the gallery. I own the one with the blue chassis and yellow shock springs. I have 1 set of bodywork which is silver and light metalic blue that I bought used from a hobbyshop about 20 years ago. The original bodywork that came on the car is blue and yellow and I only have the side pods and the rear wing. I am missing the original front wing and top cover. I have the original pipe and a dirtbike style expansion chamber. Also have some spare parts, front shocks, misc chassis parts. I had a friend make a billet cover for the rear end (hoping to get the rest of the rear end made CNC) and I got a couple cross drilled brake disc rotors made out of stainless steel. (will need some custome made brake pads).
vwguru75
1/4 scale guru

Re: Raco Supermod 2 value?

Post by vwguru75 »

Out of curiosity, where are you getting your import number info or production numbers from? I don't believe they are as rare as you think but I could be wrong. Any I have seen over the years for sale did not sell for much, so be cautios on how much you invest in the restoration if you're going to sell it off after.

Just my take on it.
Craig's List..............eBay for people that can't spell.
YSRRider

Post by YSRRider »

From Raco. Call them and ask them for parts or for the build instructions. First thing they will tell you is they only imported 2. I dont have any production numbers. I would assume they produced quite a few and they are still in Europe.
vwguru75
1/4 scale guru

Post by vwguru75 »

So they didn't produce them while Raco was still a U.S. based company in California, before selling rights to Europe?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Wolfgang of Raco Europe was a distributor. These cars were all made in Santa Ana CA. No production numbers are known. But for Raco to produce them, my guess would be 25+. Back when the 1/4 scale market was hot. These could fetch $1200 or so. Now with the market in the tank, I would expect the $600 range for a complete car. Skellenger was also producing a housing for these models so you could fit a skellenger rear in the back. Pretty cool setup.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
vwguru75
1/4 scale guru

Post by vwguru75 »

Thanks for the input Mike. I knew you would come along with more info. The "only 2 imported" sounded strange to me, as I have been in the hobby for a while and have seen a number of these over the years come and go through many hands. It just didn't sound right and I didn't want anyone to think they had something more rare than it was.

If there were only 2 imported, my bet is you would have owned #2 at some point and knew the location of #1 ! LOL. :lol:
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

I've liked the Raco Supermod for a long time, but never ever got one as they were difficult to find.
YSRRider

Post by YSRRider »

How is the market in the tank? for the past few years I have been seeing prices continue to go up. What people ask and what it sells for are 2 different things, I get that, but seen a few Raco Stadiums, nascars and Indy's and the prices keep going up. Even Jack Rabbits are selling for $600-1000. Used to be able to pick one up for $300. Well, I guess I will just moth ball this thing alittle longer. Not selling it for $600. I paid $250 just for the bodywork and some spare parts back in like 2001?

Also, how do we know these were made in California? I've contacted Raco a few times and he never even mentioned them being made in the US. If there was more..... where are they? why havent any of them turned up?
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

I used to have a nice Marlboro one that I sold about 10 years ago for 600 to 700 I believe. I can’t find pics of it right now. And I really regretted it since because it was a really nice one.

Regards