1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: 1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: Thanks for sharing this info!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

No problem Kaye. I wont be using this stuff on the body as planed, I've decided to modify my existing aluminum panels as skins. I rough cut the right side into place but still need to do some more tweaking to get it just right and then move on to the left side. The panels will be riveted in all the places as the real car. After the panels are done I'll start welding the semi chassis and brackets to hold all the torsion bars. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
aluminm panels.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

will post update soon
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, made some prototype brackets for the lotus 49, these are for the rear torsion bars that will support the rear axle. These brackets will be remade into metal and attached to the rear of the body which consist of 4. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
Bracket.png
bracket 2.jpg
bracket 1.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I think using the print for a buck is better. An aluminum body will look really nice.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Yes Mike the printed part makes for a great buck very precise. I tested the XTC-3D on a small printed part and the results are very good so I'm going to stick to the original plan and use the printed body with the semi chassis. I could always make bucks and add skins to them in the future.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I'm waiting on a new printer to make a new 49 body, this time the body will be much more dense and a higher resolution. The new body will have premade holes for the threaded rods and a cut out for the engine bolts. In the mean time here is the semi chassis which will sandwich the new body. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
L-49 chassis.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Great stuff!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye;

Did some test rivets and body work with primer. Want to get a lot of practice to get the next body I make absolute perfect. The rivets are very challenging when doing them by eye. Still a lot of rivets to add. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
rivets 2.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, I have decided to make a 1/4 scale model instead of a running option. I have 2 cosworth engines in STL file that I need to dissect, one engine has a little more detail than the other but both can interchange with one another. Once dissected there are literally over 200 hundred pieces that make up the engine. when all parts are printed and put together this cars length from nose to the end of the exhaust pipe measures 42.5". This will be the only 1/4 scale static model of the Lotus 49 that I know of :?:
Attachments
engine disected.jpg
engines.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Fantastic!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye, things have changed once again. My new printer is on back order till mid April (sucks) so I will work on my aluminum L-49 body and metal chassis, no plastic on this one. This will be a runing racer as it was meant to be from the beginning. I'll show updates soon, working on the new chassis. :)
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, I took a break from doing the chassis which is the easy part, the hard part and also very challenging was to shape the front wing-lets (lack of better words) I did one side so far and it took about 3 + hours. I'm also fabricating a bell housing or rear end support to hard tail the QC rear to the engine. Tomorrow I'll make the other wing-let and get started on the engine and rear setup. When all pieces are complete, everything will be riveted together. Hope you enjoy. :)
Attachments
winglet 1.jpg
winglet 2.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Emilio,

This looks great!!!