1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Re: 1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Lovedr :)
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks did a little more progress. Got the chassis completed and the side winglets along with the torsion bars, need to weld the brackets to join them to the body. Worked on the interior a little bit and completed the QC rear end brackets and secured to the engine. The clutch turns very smoothly. Also I swapped out the engine from a 100 maloney to a 125, this time the engine runs on gas and 2 cycle oil with a magneto ignition. Next is the front end and other detail to the body. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
body 1.jpg
dash1.jpg
engine.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Magnificent!
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

I like it..
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye and Lovedr.
Dreambig

Post by Dreambig »

Jim,

You have a fantastic build on your hands. It's beautiful. Are you looking at getting the Peopoly Phenom? When you mentioned your selection being on backorder plus the size and detail requirements, I guessed that could be one of your choices. I have been considering that machine for a couple months. If that technology is what you have in mind, I would appreciate a chat with you about it when you have some time. Thanks.

edosan3@gmail.com

Ed
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Dream (Ed) I think you have the wrong thread? But while I'm here folks a little more progress has been done on my Lotus 49. The torsion bars and brackets are complete, the chassis and interior frame work is 95% done, just need to do the front axle. started on the preparation of the nose cone, believe it or not the nose cone is completely dry, the coating I'm using is amazing and is as strong as fiberglass with gel coat, just need to sand it smooth, prime and paint it later on. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
Nose cone.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I'm sorry Dreambig (Ed) you threw me off when you called me Jim, but going back and reading some of my post to this thread I could now see your question was aimed at me. Yes the size of the printer is the selling point for me, I go by the "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" philosophy. The printer "peopoly phenom" you mention is a resin base, I have done lots of research on this type of printer but for me and purely my opinion is, very toxic from vapors and skin contact, no room for eras, you'll need protective gloves and eye wear or face shield all the time, (it only takes one time to get it in your eyes) You'll also need a wash tank or something suitable to clean the prints and must consist of an alcohol or something? after the cleaning it has to have UV lighting to cure for a few hours and can only print resin liquid,the prints are fast and almost as good as "Plastic Injection molding"

FDM printers (filament type) can print Carbon fiber, PLA, ABS, Flex (think of phone cases and tires) PETG, Nylon and wood to name a few. While most of the filaments need good ventilation (except PLA) are not as bad as resin type. I have the Qidi X-Max (it is huge and heavy 70 lbs) and it is an amazing printer and amazing customer service. It has a large print bed of 11.8" X 9.8" X 11.8" plenty enough for 1/4 scale creations and other models. Also Ed thank you for the complement.

Emilio
Attachments
20200401_092727_resized.jpg
20200401_092659_resized.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks getting down to the wire on this project. Here are some shots without the body or cockpit panels. Need to still do clean up. Waiting for the servo mounts before I paint the chassis. Next I need rims, very hard to come by? Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
frame3.jpg
frame1.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

You've really stuck at this project, and it shows. One of the all time great scratch builds, IMHO.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Kaye :)
Dreambig

Post by Dreambig »

Apologies Emilio. I wasn't paying attention and got it twisted. I hear you on the need for precautions and resulting uptick in hassle factor around resin printers. Up until very recently, I was in the same camp. I've got a couple Lulzbot Taz 6 machines with several different print heads. And while the results of a properly tuned FDM machine (especially with the diverse options of available print filament) are really impressive, they fall short with level of detail, finish quality and amount of time to print compared to some of the new resin printers. The FDM machines DEFINITELY own their place in the space. I flat out love working with mine. But because of what I'm loo king to do, the benefits of resin outweigh the hassle factor. Thankfully the technology has been around long enough to come down in price to put the option of higher resolution in reach of the average consumer.

BTW, the QiDI X Max is an amazing machine. I like the enclosed compact design and all the "extras" it ships with. I'm considering one for exotic material prints, especially polycarbonate. BTW, are you designing your own STL's? As far as the wheels go, why not draw or have drawn whatever you are looking for? Polycarbonate filament will perform like a champ for wheels on this scale of car, and with a little post production preparation, they could look any way you like. Again, great looking project Emilio.

Ed
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Ed I was under the impression that you wanted to get started in 3D printing but turns out you are a veteran, I'm a total noob compared. What I like now about resin printers is PRUSA just announced "Hollowing objects" option in their slicer for their resin printers,could be a game changer in the future for me. As far as making my own STL files, I'm just starting out on Fusion 360 and tinkercad. What bothers me is, the poly carbonate filament flew under the radar on me, going to get some and try some wheels. Btw what do you print, is it mostly 1/4 scale related? I'm hoping to make a lot of exotic static model racers after this build.

Emilio
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks mini update on my Lotus 49. Made support rod bracket to secure nose to the chassis, made a grill for the nose, made access for fuel line and throttle linkage and finished up the chassis and interior panels. Waiting for the servo bracket to arrive Monday and I can move on to paint the chassis and stat on the body. Hope you enjoy and stay safe.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, chassis done ready for paint.
Attachments
chassis primed 1.jpg