Little bigger than I expected

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Little bigger than I expected

Post by steve g »

One of those bodies you see on Ebay
Going to build a 60s style gasser using a modular style frame (like a raco) but with a skellenger style rear axle and a Delara front axle..., good way to make use of a parts lot.
This body sitting next to my Raco.. it can fit completely under the ebay body
Attachments
IMG_1737.JPG
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Re: Little bigger than I expected

Post by Lovedr »

Cool, look forward to see this build. How was shipping on this?

Thanks for sharing
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Lovedr wrote: May 12th, 2021, 4:13 pm Cool, look forward to see this build. How was shipping on this?

Thanks for sharing
Shipping was free.. but the body was $400... my wife bought it for me as a birthday gift .. she tries to keep me busy
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

That’s fair especially with that big of a body. What wheels are you planning on using? 1/4 scale ones or go kart one?
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Lovedr wrote: May 13th, 2021, 6:34 am That’s fair especially with that big of a body. What wheels are you planning on using? 1/4 scale ones or go kart one?
I want a lot of tire sidewall like the gassers had back in the day and I think kart wheels will be out of scale...

I have a pair of these that are not perfect but might clean up 85%.. nice thing is they are a massive 5.5 inches wide
Attachments
IMG_1768.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: These bodies are OK. I have the '55 Chev Bel Air on a slightly lengthened 1/4 chassis. The eBay seller was great to deal with, extremely fair when it came to shipping up to Canada. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Ford wagon turns out. Post pictures!
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 14th, 2021, 5:23 am steve g: These bodies are OK. I have the '55 Chev Bel Air on a slightly lengthened 1/4 chassis. The eBay seller was great to deal with, extremely fair when it came to shipping up to Canada. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Ford wagon turns out. Post pictures!
Yeah I will post lots of pics.. I think it will be a love it or hate it type of car.
I plan on reworking the body to be a 2 door sedan .. this real 64 falcon gasser is my motivation
Attachments
IMG_1784.PNG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: This will be a very cool project!
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 15th, 2021, 3:27 pm steve g: This will be a very cool project!
So I got some motivation today and started tinkering... don't laugh.. and please ignore the mess in the background, it was arts and krafts in the living room today.
I taped off the rear portion of the wagon top to see how the roofline needs to be reworked, but you get the idea of the sedan look.
I then cut the bumpers off to make it easier to measure and align the rails and floor, still a lot to do but I got a good mock up going.
The worst part of this is the front wheel well is too large and set back too far (look at the distance from the front of the wheel opening to the front of the fender) .. so I will have to move things around to correct it. And my tires are too small. But you see where it's going
Attachments
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: It's a really good start. I love the 'home brew' type projects, so much scope to do whatever you want.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 16th, 2021, 8:31 am steve g: It's a really good start. I love the 'home brew' type projects, so much scope to do whatever you want.
I got the body mounts mocked up
14 bolts total. I have decided that I will make the car serviceable through the hood and trunk since removal of the body will require pulling the bumpers, grille and the 14 mounting bolts... that's just too much.
Im waiting on the motor so I can get it mounted before I build the frame crossmembers
This is all still very rough but hopefully you can see where it's going ..
Attachments
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: It's a nice idea to make the model serviceable through the hood.

On a side note; I see on ebay that the body supplier (Beans Lil Project Garage) is selling their 1/4 scale Chevy Nova mold. I hope they're not getting out of the business. Very few 1/4 scale bodies are being made by anyone these days :(
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 18th, 2021, 8:56 am steve g: It's a nice idea to make the model serviceable through the hood.

On a side note; I see on ebay that the body supplier (Beans Lil Project Garage) is selling their 1/4 scale Chevy Nova mold. I hope they're not getting out of the business. Very few 1/4 scale bodies are being made by anyone these days :(
BeansLilProjectGarage from eBay is owned by Macomber fiberglass Co.
I have a bad feeling they are selling off their molds and calling it quits... their website is no longer accessible and their instagram has not been updated in a very long time... I hope it's not a health realated issue that caused this. I have attempted to contact them but with no luck.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: If this is the case I'm glad I managed to get the 55 Chevrolet for my collection. I would have liked to buy some more bodies from them in the future, but it's looking like I'll be out of luck.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 19th, 2021, 7:26 am steve g: If this is the case I'm glad I managed to get the 55 Chevrolet for my collection. I would have liked to buy some more bodies from them in the future, but it's looking like I'll be out of luck.
Can I see some pics of your 55?