Little bigger than I expected

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Little bigger than I expected

Post by Kaye »

steve g:

I'll take some photos and post them. I haven't done anything with the body yet. I've been working on the chassis to lengthen the wheelbase to fit the body, which is an aluminum plate type. Currently I'm trying to make a plate type roll cage to match. It's not going to be a lightweight model, but I'm not too bothered about this.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 20th, 2021, 7:45 am steve g:

I'll take some photos and post them. I haven't done anything with the body yet. I've been working on the chassis to lengthen the wheelbase to fit the body, which is an aluminum plate type. Currently I'm trying to make a plate type roll cage to match. It's not going to be a lightweight model, but I'm not too bothered about this.
I am seeing now I'm going to have weight issues too... since I have no intention of playing with it on she street I'm not concerned but I wonder if it will even steer.
All my engine stuff is zenoah G2D and now with it mocked up I'm laughing, I need 4 more of them to fill all the dead space. This car is huge.
Attachments
IMG_1821.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: I posted the pictures of my '55 in the 'Projects in Progress' section. I was working on one side of the plate roll cage today. There's lots to do.
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 1:22 pm steve g: I posted the pictures of my '55 in the 'Projects in Progress' section. I was working on one side of the plate roll cage today. There's lots to do.
So I got a lot done, not going to post pics of the motor yet but here is the rear end...
I’m still making a swing arm setup , the 5.5” wide wheels need tons of help but I will see what I can do with them.
It’s one of those skellenger aftermarket style rearends and I quite impressed,”. Not sure of its strength compared to a real skellenger but I found almost everything will transfer over.
I took it apart hoping the skellenger gears would swap but they don’t..... it could be done with some machine work but hopefully the stock gears are enough.
This sucker is 22” wide.
Attachments
CE93E4D2-B5C5-495E-A95F-026468348DA4.jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g: Looks good. Those after market Skellenger style rear ends were tested with a 5hp engine for quite a bit during development, they held up OK.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Very nice! Did you try go-kart wheels for the rear? Following your progress :)
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Emilio wrote: June 13th, 2021, 6:33 am Very nice! Did you try go-kart wheels for the rear? Following your progress :)
Sticking with 1/4 scale wheels... got the rearend test fitted,, have a good idea of what it needs
Attachments
75D5568D-D8BF-4093-90FF-6099678A7AC8.jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

steve g;

Some good progress there! What did you use for the universal joints and driveshaft?

Kaye
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:22 am steve g;

Some good progress there! What did you use for the universal joints and driveshaft?

Kaye
the driveshaft is just for test fitting... its a brass tube and some ebay universals that would explode after 5 minutes run time
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

the driveshaft is just for test fitting... its a brass tube and some ebay universals that would explode after 5 minutes run time
[/quote]

OK thanks, got it!
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

[/quote]

OK thanks, got it!
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

OK thanks, got it!
[/quote]

Went through the bin and got a somewhat complete Delara front axle.. needs work but it’s a good start
Attachments
776FC83C-3146-42C6-BC7A-25947E990807.jpeg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

[/quote]

Went through the bin and got a somewhat complete Delara front axle.. needs work but it’s a good start
[/quote]

You have quite a good parts bin!
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Kaye wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 5:06 am
[/quote]

You have quite a good parts bin!
[/quote]

Oh I could kick myself in the rear.... a few years ago I gave away a delara frame, nose, tail and wing because I thought I would never put it together... turns out I had everything in boxes minus the skellenger rearend... even worse the car has now been made into an electric dune buggy...
steve g
1/4 scale guru

Post by steve g »

Engine done
Attachments
5130A393-0130-49C7-ADD8-4290553023C7.jpeg