Stamped steel wheels

Looking for a hard to find part? Ask here, you never know!!
Bikerbuz

Stamped steel wheels

Post by Bikerbuz »

Does anyone know if there are any narrow stamped steel wheels out there? Same size as front wheels (5/8th or so wide maybe) for the WCM -34 for all four corners.
I'm doing a 50's style streetrace rod build and want it as close as possible.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Stamped steel wheels

Post by Kaye »

Look on the internet for 'stamped steel 6 inch lawnmower wheels'.
Bikerbuz

Post by Bikerbuz »

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately way too wide and no real way to make the rims fit my 6 bolt hubs.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Bikerbuz:

Here's another idea, Peddle Car wheels and tires. You may be able to find something and drill to match your 6 bolt hubs:

https://www.pedalcar.com/parts-wheels/

Hope this helps, Kaye
Bikerbuz

Post by Bikerbuz »

Thank’s Kaye, I’ll be ordering one of the 55 classic wheels to test out 😊👍🏼
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Bikerbuz wrote: October 16th, 2022, 3:05 am Thank’s Kaye, I’ll be ordering one of the 55 classic wheels to test out 😊👍🏼

Great, let us know how it works out.

Kaye
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

Bikerbuz wrote: October 16th, 2022, 3:05 am Thank’s Kaye, I’ll be ordering one of the 55 classic wheels to test out 😊👍🏼
What type wheel hubs you have??? You will be disappointed to know they don't work with 4-6 pin hubs. You will have to modify them???
Bikerbuz

Post by Bikerbuz »

Yes, I know, but they are sort of close to the correct size and style and hopefully flat enough in the center to drill out both the bolt and center holes to make it fit. I've got a few different ideas, depending on how thick the rim is in the center. I think they are made with an inner and an outer "plate" rather than a center part and a ring. If I'm right the the center should be narrow enough to press the inner and outer sides together and then straighten it out i the lathe as much as possible. I haven't ordered it yet tho, as I'm looking for a European seller of that (or a very similar) wheel first.
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

The center of the wheel is not what you think. The front has a bearing between two pressed half's and the rear has a bushing to drive the rear wheels. You will not be able to do what you think. Better off making your wen style wheels that fit pin hubs. Wcm made 1/2" wheels halfs and Bishracing makes drag wheels. If the size is what you need save the rubber and make the wheel.
Bikerbuz

Post by Bikerbuz »

Thank's for the input, but none of them have what I'm looking for. That's why I'm going this route. I don't believe I have what it takes to make my own, but I do have a small lathe and mill that I feel comfortable working with, so modifying wheels of a similar type to what I'm looking for is what I think I'll try. I it doesn't work out the way I want, I might try to make the complete wheels, but not for right now.
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

The standard for wheels is best to start with. You can make wheel covers to simulate what you're trying to do. Easier than destroys something that isn't rite from the start. You can also look at castor wheels as an option or medical supply wheels. But for what you want best; just make them.
Bikerbuz

Post by Bikerbuz »

Thanks again for your input. I'll give it some thought and look at the wheel types you suggested, but we don't have anywhere near as many options here as you have in the us and both the dollar and the import costs are insane right now so we'll see what happens.

I'll let you know what I did in the end :)